Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Characters as Tokens

Hi, I just started learning you system and finished entering all the PC´s and NPC´s for my Dark Heresy game but when I was going to test their avatars I could not just simple drag their Characters on to the grid. I found that this did not work so I tested writing their names in the Token bar. It worked for some but not for others, at first I belied it was their names but it turned out to not be the case. What should I do?
Ok, I think it has something to do with hoe you upload the image from your PC, need further testing to confirm.
Hmmm, either it takes time to load and you need a good internet for the PC´s avatars to show in the search wheel or it has something to do with the upload.
OH MY GOD! I am a idiot, just found the portraits bar. But still, interesting how the token function works.
Currently the tokens on the table and the characters on the right hand bar aren't really linkable. I have 1 token and 1 character bio page per PC with the token/sheet controllable by that player. There are several feature requests out there for stronger linking between tokens and character sheets, they are just trying to sort through the options and find something unobtrusive.
Hi guys, my biggest pain point so far is that you have to recreate all character tokens and all values over and over again for every map it seems. Especially if you move from one map to the next this is quite annoying.... I assume this is still a major issue the devs work on?
ahhh token copy & paste is surely an answer to this ;-)
ahhh token copy & paste is surely an answer to this ;-) Yup, I have a "welcome page" where I have the tokens for my PCs along with other notes about the game. When I need to move to a new page I just go there select the tokens and copy/paste them to the next page.
But when you alter the conditions of characters on their heart and pulse bars, turn on their condition dots etc., that doesn't update across copies. So you copy the characters out of the last encounter and paste them into the next. And that leaves you with a trail of inconsistent copies of the characters in different conditions on different pages. If would be a lot more convenient if a master copy of the token were kept on the character card or whatever it is called, whence an instance or incarnation of it could be dragged onto a map. Alterations to the condition of the character, made on the incarnation, ought to be recorded on the master. That way, when you open a new map after several scenes or even a session break without combat, the consistent and correct version of the characters in their current condition is in the usual place, not where-ever you left them last.
it makes sense that Character is also a Token. A Character is an entity that has more tidbits about it that you want to remember and inherently will be used on the map at some point. It also makes sense that a Character will appear in multiple locations during a session (or throughout a campaign). Therefore, a Character should exist outside of a map, and be associatable with a given map. One way to handle this is keep the system for adding a character as it is, so the character appears to be associated with the current map. But in reality, the Character is going into the campaign's global character bucket. When the GM goes to add a character to the map, they can create a new one, or add an existing one from the bucket. This would keep the system fairly simple and not burden most GMs with managing this stuff too much.
Actually, at present characters are not added to the map, they are added to a menu under a tab which I think is called the "journal" tab. The things that are added to the map are tokens, and the tokens of characters are treated just the same as the tokens of chairs and carpets. Though characters include a space for a graphical "avatar", that avatar can't be dragged to the map, it is just a portrait. I am pushing for a token with global state variables (and also handouts) to be attached to the character card, which is accessible from every page. Other people are also pushing for character sheets to be put there. (I think you can already put links to off-site character sheets there. Handouts too, I suppose.)
I think it would be a grate idea.
+1 to Agemegos' idea.