Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Continuing a campaign in a new game

So the devs have said multiple times that it was not their intent for a single game to be used for an entire campaign lasting years. I understand their logic, so I'd like to start the next adventure in a new game.  But setting up a new game so that you keep the information you want from the old game is a pain in the @$$, even with the Transmogrifier.. So I have a few questions: How often do you other DMs split off your campaign into a new game?  Every adventure?  Every 6 months?  12 months?  Never until a new campaign starts? Does anyone have any tips on continuing a campaign in a new game with minimal work? As a Pro, are there any useful scripts for this? Thanks for any input!
well there is a tips thread that said you can create a character to house all your macros as abilities then you can copy over this character to other games as needed. you would still need to copy over the APi needed for them. you can also copy the game as a whole and simply add whats missing in the copy. especially if your playing with the same players. my plan for the future is to create a blank game with all the fixings in place and simply copy this game to create a new game that i invite players into. that way all i need to do are the missing bits. in my case i have not run the games long but my plan now is to break up long games into campaigns arcs so if the player take 6 months to play thur it then that is how long they play there then copy over what is needed to contuine the story.