Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Maps with many items load slow

I'm building a forrest on a 50x50 map, made the background darkish green and placed a load, and I do mean a big load, of trees on the map. All this is placed on the 'map' layer. But now my map loads really slow and moving around goes hard. I run a pretty new PC on a decent internet line. Anyone any idea or tip on large maps with a lot of items? I need the trees to be removable else I would've made a single picture.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Maps should be assembled outside of Roll20 and then uploaded as a single image. Jpeg should be used for anything that doesn't require transparency.
But that's the problem... I need to be able to remove the trees one by one or in small groups.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If you want deformable terrain, then you're gonna have to take the performance hit. You could group the treesand upload those groups as images to help a little.
You can maybe also split up the map. 50x50 is rather large. Splitting it up in two parts will improve performance considerably.
Gold
Forum Champion
When you say "a load, and I do mean a big load" of trees... can you estimate how many tree tokens you are talking about? This is mainly a curious question, there is not a specific number of tokens that is a hard-limit. Dozens of trees might be fine, but hundreds of trees would very likely cause some performance hit. Did you use a bunch of different tree designs, or the same tree over-and-over? (The former would lag even more; the later should help with performance although still could be laggy if there are so many of them.... So if you've used a bunch of different tree species, would you be okay with reducing it to one or two tree-shapes repeated over and over?). Are you using Dynamic Lighting (on or off), and-or Advanced Fog of War (on or off)? If either of these are ON, it can add to your lag when scrolling around the screen. Does your map page perform better if you disable DL and AFoW? Last question, and it may seem irrelevant but, which Character Sheet is used in your game and how many Characters/Journals do you have? Games that have a large character sheet with a lot of attributes, and has a lot of Characters, can gradually become a laggy game, regardless of maps or in addition to lag from maps/graphics.

Edited 1515823245
Gold said: When you say "a load, and I do mean a big load" of trees... can you estimate how many tree tokens you are talking about? This is mainly a curious question, there is not a specific number of tokens that is a hard-limit. Dozens of trees might be fine, but hundreds of trees would very likely cause some performance hit. Did you use a bunch of different tree designs, or the same tree over-and-over? (The former would lag even more; the later should help with performance although still could be laggy if there are so many of them.... So if you've used a bunch of different tree species, would you be okay with reducing it to one or two tree-shapes repeated over and over?). Are you using Dynamic Lighting (on or off), and-or Advanced Fog of War (on or off)? If either of these are ON, it can add to your lag when scrolling around the screen. Does your map page perform better if you disable DL and AFoW? Last question, and it may seem irrelevant but, which Character Sheet is used in your game and how many Characters/Journals do you have? Games that have a large character sheet with a lot of attributes, and has a lot of Characters, can gradually become a laggy game, regardless of maps or in addition to lag from maps/graphics. I used 8 different types (6 trees and 2 bushes). I created a (rather large) 'cluster' and then copied/paste said cluster to fill the area. Turning it around here and there for diversity. In total I would say several hundreds of tokens have been placed. 250-300 would be my best guess. Although it will make it look less authentic, for performance and smooth play, I would have no issue reducing the diversity in tree types. I'm not using any light or fog settings, and won't be needing it for the campaign either. No character sheet in use.
Arthur B said: You can maybe also split up the map. 50x50 is rather large. Splitting it up in two parts will improve performance considerably. This might prove to be a valuable idea. Objective is to clean the area of any and all flora and fauna, splitting it up into 2 separate areas can be a fun way to also split up the difficulty of the encounters. Thanks bubba. xxx

Edited 1515823601
Scott C. said: If you want deformable terrain, then you're gonna have to take the performance hit. You could group the treesand upload those groups as images to help a little. I was thinking of something in this line as well. Create the map in e.g. photoshop and save the map several times during creation and deployment of the trees. This way I would get e.g. 5 or 10 seperate maps to be used as 1 background file with the open terrain getting bigger and bigger. Only problem with this is that it reduces the flexibility of the map and freedom of the players. I would be forced to let them take the trees away the way the maps go. All in all - thanks for the tip sir.
Scott C. said: If you want deformable terrain, then you're gonna have to take the performance hit. You could group the treesand upload those groups as images to help a little. This is a very good idea. I'll give it a go. Thanks all for the advice. I was hoping my limited knowledge of roll20 was in the way and there was some trick/functionality that would handle big maps with a lot of tokens. But with all these tips I am sure I can come to a nice workaround. Again, my thanks to all for thinking with me. May you live long and have prosperity find you and your loved ones.