Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Copyright Issues for Published Character Sheets

Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello! I have a legal question. I want to know what the legal concerns are regarding character sheets on Roll20. What do I have to keep in mind when creating a sheet? I'm assuming that just using a custom sheet for my own private campaign isn't any issue, but what about publishing it to the Roll20 GitHub? For instance, if I want to publish a sheet with a layout (more-or-less) identical to an official sheet for that RPG? There are a few sheets already published that appear very similar to their official sheet versions. Was there a requirement for permission from the publisher of that RPG to reuse their assets? Any info or link to related reading would be greatly appreciated.
as far as i am aware if the sheet is in  the OGL you can make one. if your intent is to module your sheet after the real sheet then i would check with the license of that game for sheet use and avoid using the same imagaes  
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A layout can't be copyrighted (although in theory it could be subject to trademark or design patent law, that's extremely unlikely for a tabletop game, and it isn't automatically granted like copyright is). Art assets would be subject to copyright, although game companies frequently make a set of art assets freely available for things like fan websites.

Edited 1516132802
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Don't worry about character sheet copyright. I've posted recently how copyright over existing printed sheets doesn't apply to roll20 sheets anyway, but that's really kind of irrelevant. For it to be relevant, you'd need an environment in which (a) game publishers object to people making their own versions of character sheets, and also (b) object to people playing their games! For point (b), obviously games publishers want more people playing their games, so they'd be crazy to try to crack down on roll20 character sheets. Most game devs will be thrilled to know there is interest in their games here. But the more important point (a): over 40 years of history in the gaming community has established that games publishers do not care if you make your own character sheets, even if you copy their own layouts closely. Some turn a blind eyes to it, others actively encourage it, but none will take active steps to try to stop it. Quite the reverse - there are games publishers who host fan-created resources like character sheets on their own websites. If it still worries you, you could easily contact the publisher of the game you want to make a sheet for and ask if they mind. Most publishers have websites with email contact details on them. There is one thing to be wary of: art assets. Don't use artwork on your sheets you don't have the rights to (unless its public domain, or has an open license that allows such use). 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Well-stated, GG.
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for the responses. I have one art asset I'd like to use, so I'll look in to the license for it. I may have to contact the publisher. Thanksa again.