Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat log not returning full log

Bugger! I needed to refer back to some previous chat entries to prep for this weeks campaign, but it doesn't look like the chat log archive is fully working. It doesn't seem to return a FULL listing of the entire archive (either rendered OR in the JS messages array).
Are you seeing any particular gaps? Like further back than a certain time period...?
No, it seems to start at the earliest message I can recall (i.e., it's a pre-player testing message), and then goes for awhile (seemingly sequentially) before it just stops. Considering that we're 95% chat in our sessions, it hasn't even reached our second session's logs - it's still halfway through the first session. messages.length is 1285.
Hrm. Which Campaign is it in your account? Mind if I take a look directly?
I've only one campaign in my account, and you're welcome to drop in and say hi ;)
I took a look, and it seems to be working for all of the Chat Archives associated with that Campaign in the DB. Did it used to have the full log before and now it's not working? Or is this the first time you've looked back at the archive? How many sessions are you missing?
Something has just changed - still investigating.
Ok, my apologies - my messages.length is still 1285, but it appears the chat entries are out of *order* - the first and last entries seem to be from the first sessions, but I can see my second session shoved into the midst of it.
Okay, the good news is, I have a backup of your last session available and it looks like the last line getting returned currently is the first line from your last session. So nothing should be lost. Still trying to find out what happened, though.
Do you think it's all there, then? And it's just out of order? Or is some still missing?
Yes, from what I'm seeing, it looks like things are just completely interspersed out of order. But I think it's all there. I'll save this backup just in case.
I'm still going through it now and trying to get array IDs where things break.
Well, as long as it's all *there*, I should be able to get the order fixed (I hope). So let's just make sure nothing's missing first and then we'll get it all righted.
Sorry, I'm just not a decent enough JS scripter to get you the proper information I'd want to see as a developer, so I'm going to have to rely on actual log lines instead of array indexes: * The pre-session-1 and session-1 logs seem correct up to Morbus Iff saying "Hah!" (entire content). The next rendered line (and next index in the messages array) is the *latest* "chat session", I suppose - that's Max saying that his camera's not working (for three individual lines/messages). This was not actually part of a gaming session. * After the above, the chat seems to be going *backwards* (LIFO) - this is game session 2 stuff, only with the last messages first. This goes from "Morbus Iff (GM) waves" [action] all the way to "Morbus Iff (GM): Evening." (ending period, not ending exclamation). * After the above, it's back to first gaming session again, only this time, we're going backwards again - the "Gabe: Night guys!" is the last line from the first session. This runs all the way down to the final line in the messages array ("John [REMOVED]: If he's stnding from prone ..."). * Bizarrely, this first (backwards) gaming session (Gabe to John [REMOVED]) does NOT fit sequentially onto the first (forwards) gaming session (the first entry to "Hah!") but it's close enough to perfect that I don't care much. And it's getting confusing to explain. Heh. Based on the messages array, it either seems that the backend database query is not returning the messages in the right timestamp order, or the messages array is being reordered improperly. I'd helpfully suggest adding timestamps to the message arrays though - that's generically helpful/useful and would be required for any "real" archival-purpose chat log for chat-users. [EDIT: No, doesn't look like anything's missing.]
Heh: looks like I can't drag-select on the logs to copy and paste the lines I want. [EDIT: No worries for now. Used the rendered source, etc.]