Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG] 5E Curse of Strahd and others, Paid GM looking for players

Edited 1518762938
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
This game will require payment to the Game Master at a rate of $10/player per session, via Paypal, with a free trial session. Roll20 is not responsible for any payment transactions and cannot enforce any private arrangements. If you're not sure you want to commit to anything, feel free to sit in on a game! Message me and I'll set you up as a spectator.&nbsp; LFG Listing: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/103974/miks-lfp" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/103974/miks-lfp</a>... Hi everyone! My name is Mik; I'm a GM looking for players for my third Curse of Strahd campaign. I'm a freelancer, 28, from BC Canada. I work on a lot of RPG maps and artwork, and even have a few packs on Roll20's Marketplace&nbsp; &nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/?keyw</a>... I've begun doing pay-for-play GMing on the side, as I miss running D&D, and being a freelancer takes up a lot of time. By running the game for $10/session, I can spend time prepping and playing - without stressing out about not working on my projects. In the past, I've studied game design, done real research on adventure writing, and I've been running D&D games for nearly 15 years. I feel it's important that a GM not only understands the game's mechanics, but also rules-as-intended, a sense of pacing to keep the game fun, communication skills to accurately explain rules, empathy to work with your players to change the way the game's played and tailor it so everyone is having the maximum amount of fun, and the ability to think on the fly (though I'll admit I'm still working on that last one, but I'm improving!) What do you get for the cost? I'm charging $10 USD/session per player, with a free trial session. On top of my years of experience, you get a ton of custom work. You can expect dozens of handouts on top of what Curse of Strahd has (which is already a lot); extra artwork, including special custom sketches of your characters (this will be done when I have time, so it may take a few sessions for me to do it); custom maps designed by myself; custom soundtracks for every area of the game; extra material from Xanathar's Guide, Volo's Guide, and Tome of Beasts; help with character building and rules understanding for new players; a recap newsletter between every session with extra notes; API scripts for character sheets and anything you request; and the hours of prep I spend pouring through the Curse of Strahd adventure to create the most inspired campaign I can. The cost also helps me cover the cost of the Roll20 Marketplace adventure, extra Marketplace content, and my Pro subscription which allows us to play with the API. I prefer to run via video and voice, though you don't need to have those (voice is encouraged, though). I'll through groups of individual players, or pre-made groups looking for a DM. I'll tailor each campaign to the individual players' tastes (for example, one of my groups hates roleplaying, so I make their NPCs speak briefly and to the point; another group likes finding unusual ways to move around the battlefield, so I add extra details to their maps so they can swing around and duck behind cover more often). Also, everyone is encouraged to speak to me about any opinions on how I run stuff, problems or ideas you might have, or rules questions you want clarified or houseruled - I'll try and encorperate everyone's preferences as much as possible.&nbsp; What is Curse of Strahd CoS is a special adventure that whisks you away to the world of Barovia, a sinister, gothic-horror-type land full of werewolves, vampires, decrepit mansions, and choking fog. More than other Adventure Paths, CoS is meant to be a lot more thematic, more intimidating, and more serious (though, not too &nbsp;serious that we can't make jokes). It contains a large amount of social interaction, puzzle solving, and non-combat encounters (though, there is a healthy chunk of combat too). Please note, there are some dark themes in this adventure. While the content in game is all PG-13, you do find evidence of some dark subjects, like children-sized coffins, or signs of cannibalism.&nbsp; Characters will start at 1st level, and during the introduction, will level up to 3rd quickly, then continuing on at a milestone pace. How do you join? Currently, I'm planning on running 4 weekly games.&nbsp; #1 is full, and started playing Monday 9-12 PST. #2 has one slot open for a 5th player, and is running Sunday 5-9pm PST. #3 has slots for a 4th and 5th player, time currently undecided but tentatively Wednesday evenings #4 is empty, and can be scheduled any other time. To join up, post here or PM me! Please tell me a bit about yourself - how long have you been playing RPGs, which kinds of games you've liked, what aspects of RPGs do you particularly enjoy, what characters you like playing, etc. Anything you want! In particular, tell me about My preference of players is 18+, with some 5e experience, but my games are open to players of all ages and experience levels. I am part of the LGBT community, so my only rule is all players need to be respectful of that.&nbsp; Again, Session 1 is no charge, I'd love to do a trial session to see if everyone is interested. After that session, I'll be charging $10 USD per player for each session (approximately 4 hour sessions, though times can be changed). No charge for missed sessions, no commitment if you wanna quit. Keep in mind, I'm always willing to hear suggestions on how to improve or change the game! For any more questions, feel free to post or PM!
Hi Mik, sending a PM
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Daniel, responded in PM Just an update, I have a few players for my Curse of Strahd game, but still need more. And the third game is still completely open, and can be taken by individuals or a group!
I see that you have run a kingmaker campaign, is there any interest in running another?&nbsp; If so, then count me in.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey Steve - I've sent you a PM.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I've updated the top post with this info: Currently this Curse of Strahd module has 4 players, with an open slot for an optional 5th. We will be starting this on Sunday the 18th, going weekly Sunday evenings. UPDATE: I've had two people interested in making this a Kingmaker campaign. I have two/three slots left open for this! If you'd like to play something other than Kingmaker, I'm still open to suggestions!
Noch
Marketplace Creator
Hey Mik, I'm open to playing a Kingmaker game as well as I prefer Pathfinder. Is there still room?
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey Noch, there's definitely room in the Kingmaker game. I'll send you a PM.
Not looking to play but I had the pleasure of Mik DMing Storm King's Thunder for me a year ago! He is an excellent DM: thoughtful, organized (with info in and out of the game), incorporates backstories well, uses the roll20 tools to their potential, and knows how to make appropriate adjustments to prewritten content. +1 vouch for Mik! Best of luck on your adventures with him all
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thank you, man! I hope you and your family are doing well! I really appreciate the vouch, I still really miss the old team, even if Ack-Ack kept trying to cut off everyone's hair. I feel like the custom content I did for Griz (his family tying into people in Triboar and Everlund) was some of the best addition to an adventure path I've done.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
UPDATE: Got some more players! Game 1: Filled Game 2: 4 slots filled, optionally 1 more open, tentatively on Sundays 6-10 PST. Game 3: 2 slots filled, up to 3 slots left, tentatively playing on Wednesday evenings, but the two players are pretty open in their schedule.&nbsp; Game 4: &nbsp;I haven't started a game 4, but if you're interested in a different day than above, I can start one! If you're not comfortable paying for DMing (and I don't blame you!), you can sit in on one of my games, and see the kinda quality you'd get!&nbsp;

Edited 1518807581
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Player Update! #1 is full, and started playing biweekly Monday 9-12 PST. #2 has one optional slot open for a 5th player, and is running this Sunday 5-9pm PST. #3 has 2/3 slots (optional 5th player), time currently undecided but tentatively Wednesday evenings. #4 is empty, and can be scheduled any other time. To join up, post here or PM me! Think you might be interested, wanna see my DM style and the types of games I run, but don't want to commit to anything? The first session for each group is a free trial, and I'll be running the games on Youtube streaming if you want to sit in on one of the games (times listed above) before you try. If you're interested, PM me for the link!

Edited 1519055059
I'm definitely curious about joining up for #3 Wednesday evenings, please. I've had about 15 years of experience, mainly in D&D 3rd Edition, 3.5, and Pathfinder. New to 5th Edition, but I learn quickly and take gaming very devotedly. I enjoy a healthy balance of general roleplay and progression (especially since I've had little luck in actually completing an adventure with most of my peers, due to others dropping out or a new adventure started, etc.) I can communicate via voice, both Skype and/or Discord.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hey Kei! I'll send you a PM in just a moment!