Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The Trial of Julius Pigginson "Gathering Info" Macro Error

Edited 1518412284
So I keep getting this error when using the "Gathering Info" macro: TypeError: Cannot read property 'substring' of undefined And this is the code for the macro: @{gatherinformationcheck} This action takes you ?{What penalty?|No Penalty, [[1d4+1]] hours|-5 Penalty, [[{1+0d0,1d4-1}kh1]] hours|-10 penalty, [[10d6]] min|-20 penalty, [[5d6]] min} Any idea what's wrong with it? I haven't changed anything... I only just bought the module and I'm currently just testing it. Seems kinda weird that the first macro doesn't even work...
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Puff. I would not be surprised if the author of the module (Andrew) will join in this thread to answer, in time. I haven't tried this module yet myself, though I am looking forward to it soon. Couple questions in the meantime - Are you using the character sheet that the module suggests, "Diana P’s 3.5 Edition Sheet"? Have you tried that macro with a token selected?
Yes, I'm using the default character sheet that the module recommends. I've also created a new character and assigned it a token, then tried the macro with the token selected, but still no luck :(

Edited 1518478996
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
You don't need anything in particular to get it to run. It's not tied to a sheet property. If the GM runs it from the global Macro Bar it should just run. It's just using a modification of the usual 3.5E rules on how long a Gather Information Check takes (which is a 1d4+1h action).  By taking a penalty against it then you get the following: -5 Penalty, [[1d4-1]] min of 1h, max of 3h ((Edit: Just realised I could probably just make this 1d3 in the macro... and that might save your butt)) -10 penalty, [[10d6]] min so 10-60min -20 penalty, [[5d6]] min, so 5-30min. I can't see either from the macro itself, or why using another sheet would bork that macro. Edit: Try replacing -5 Penalty, [[{1+0d0,1d4-1}kh1]] hours with -5 Penalty, [[1d3]] hours The 3.5E recommendation is purely because I built it using that sheet, and I've loaded in some 3.5E based assumptions. But other than that Gather Information moment, some travelling speed calculations, and the combat abilities of one NPC, it's system agnostic.
I've tried your suggestion, and it didn't seem to work. The macro now says: @{gatherinformationcheck} This action takes you ?{What penalty?|No Penalty, [[1d4+1]] hours|-5 Penalty, [[1d3]] hours|-10 penalty, [[10d6]] min|-20 penalty, [[5d6]] min} So, no dice :(
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I'll see what I can do to replicate the problem... at worst, I can get into your game as a GM and poke around until we figure out what is going wrong.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Puff, I'll put the solution here just in case someone else comes to look later. You should turn on the "In Bar" checkbox, and use it like a Global Macro rather than linking it to a particular Sheet.
Hello Andrew, I'm having the same issue as Puff. I just got the module and when I click the "Gather-info" macro on my macro bar, it responds with: "TypeError: Cannot read property 'substring' of undefined
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Which is odd... feel free to shoot me a PM with a game link. I can go in and try find out what is borked, but when I looked at it in Puff's game it seemed to work fine.