Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advanced Fog of War Memory vs Mapping.

So my theory on Advanced Fog of War is that players can remember sections of the dungeon they have been through. - in large dungeons that are complex I would like to assume my players cannot remember the entire dungeon. - Thus far using regular hide features over what they have explored over time works fine, its just more for me to track while running the rest of the game. + My thought is to have an option to remove the areas that they have been through either over time, or over distance traveled.  ++assuming you can track the time a section was viewed, after 20-30 minutes that section recovers and is hidden 100% from players again ++another option is a secondary function of AFoW adding a blurring to textures this then would compound the overtime function, it would symbolize their memory being more hazy after the period of time. Essentially turn what used to be clearly barrels into boxes- ++- another way to cover this is create multiple map/object layers with only map-object-dm-light I put most objects that I don't want to accidentally move into map layer, this makes them visible after leaving the room. creating Map 1 and map 2 / object 1 and object 2 (or token & object leayers not combination) Then track them separately such as map 1 and object 1 could be visible Via AFoW while in other room while Map 2,Object 2, and tokens are not. ++If you go the route of distance then we would need a way to track squares or hex traveled... more in a distance way. so distance in squares in an L shape room would involve tracking around the corner rather than using diagonals, or in a U shape the distance would be tracked around both corners so 30 feet then 15 feet then another 20 feet would be say 15-20 feet if it were an open room, but 65 feet following the fastest path while following the bends. ++- I think this is probably harder and more taxing but I think pretty advanced since it is AFoW. - now I want to be clear I just want these as options, not always, If my players purchase a map(This would pre-reveal "known" sections of the dungeon) or have cartographers tools, I would like to be able to turn these memory options off, assuming they make the associated rolls. I would settle for any combination, But I think the easiest would be Add a blurring option for an overlay Via checkbox & add the extra layers I put forth I assume in general the blur is pretty simple, and for simple Fog of War could still be applied by DM as an option to select much like color selction ect. Next I assume how ever the layers are currently attached has the biggest play into how easy adding more would be. But once the how to add one is clear adding a few should be the same over again. this gives a lot of options to our DMs - exploring the multi layer option another way I have seen multi level structure talks about using height to change what is seen from top vs bottom being different, I think looking into the extra map layers could work this out, Perhaps by adding even more layers than I suggested such as following my point, Then going further to add Height 1-2-3-4 ect onto each option, thus Map 1 then a new option below layer would be height selecting the height would allow each layer grouping to be separate, as the Height number increases the lower layers CANT be accessed from that height setting but Would be visable while the Higher levels would not overlay. -- This adds some more work on token placement and moving, players would need to move their tokens from height 1 to height 2 then it would reveal the next layer of map covering the old from direct sight but should they select height 1 after having left it, they would see the AFoW.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .