Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

If I'm going to stream a game, are there any rules to keep in mind art and map wise?

We were talking in our group chat, and someone brought up we might run into issues running a game with other people's assets if someone wanted to say something. I try to use free stuff I find on the web, and I've bought some stuff from here, but to be fair, online you never know if a "here's a free asset" could be someone else's work or not. On the very very very small off chance that the game takes off, because really you never know, that issue might actually become something to deal with. Any advice on this?
Dsurion
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Dont think there would be much problem with this, if you want you could always contact the artist whose sets you are using and add a ''I'm using these sets from X artist, go check them out on this link'' For ''google search'' assets, that would be a bit harder, since you can find some not-supposed-to-be-free tokens in there, but its also a bit harder sometimes to find the artists of said asset.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Most, if not all, artists here don't mind at all if you stream using their assets. A shoutout to the artist and/or sets you used is always appreciated as well, but it's understandable if you can't find the author of some assets, especially if you found them through google images or similar. In principle I'd say go ahead, stream and have lots of fun!
Badger
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Stream away with any of my Roll20 MP assets! Official permission! If you like them and want to give me a shoutout, cool, but not necessary. If you want to send me a link to a stream where you're playing so I can watch and support, and fan girl out, also cool, but also not necessary. Google image search stuff I cannot speak to...some of those might be "owned" by various people who may or may not be litigious, or like, a book cover or somethin weird, and I am not a lawyer so won't try to tell you if a stream counts as "fair use". Seems potentially sticky but you also seem to have pretty good intent, so...big fat shrug.

Edited 1520646359
Thanks, guys! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would be really handy (and a potential selling point), if creators tagged their art packs as "streamable".
I am planning to start a Twitch-streamed campaign soon, and plan to include a list of all Roll20 Marketplace artists I have purchased from, and whose work may appear in my game.
Gold
Forum Champion
Brett E. said: I am planning to start a Twitch-streamed campaign soon, and plan to include a list of all Roll20 Marketplace artists I have purchased from, and whose work may appear in my game. I'm subscribed on your YouTube. What's your Twitch channel? Post when you get the game going. I enjoy seeing any OSR Roll20 streams.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Same here, feel free to stream with any of my sets. Also I'd probably watch if I knew it was going down and am available!
Okay. If you guys want I can PM you to the discord so you'll know when it starts, and to the Roll20 page so you guys know what it is. I know I'll forget if I'm just left to myself to remember. XD
Aaron
Marketplace Creator
As a streamer myself, I love when people use my packs on Twitch. I'll gladly watch/host you whenever you're live. Hit me up! <a href="https://www.twitch.tv/tabletop_twitch" rel="nofollow">https://www.twitch.tv/tabletop_twitch</a>
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I've tossed Dylan G a whole copy of one of my upcoming campaigns to maybe Stream. So I don't mind if you stream whole modules/campaigns of mine... just throw a guy a bone and spruik their work yeah?
Gold said: Brett E. said: I am planning to start a Twitch-streamed campaign soon, and plan to include a list of all Roll20 Marketplace artists I have purchased from, and whose work may appear in my game. I'm subscribed on your YouTube. What's your Twitch channel? Post when you get the game going. I enjoy seeing any OSR Roll20 streams. Thanks for the interest, I haven't put anything on YouTube in ages! However, I imagine I will begin uploading the recorded sessions from the Twitch campaign on there. I've been watching a lot of Twitch streams lately, to see what other people are doing, and so far I've seen maybe only 1 or 2 that were not 5e. So the OSR is definitely an unfilled niche. Now, whether or not anyone will actually watch it remains to be seen. :-) I'm planning for the campaign's first session to be this evening. Not sure if I'll broadcast it though, right now I am just planning for it to be consist of character creation, equipment outfitting and home village exploration. But even if I don't broadcast it, I will definitely record and upload it.
Also, question. When you search up things in the Roll20 image search, how safe is it to pull up the free resources pulled from the internet?
Shadowkat678 said: Also, question. When you search up things in the Roll20 image search, how safe is it to pull up the free resources pulled from the internet? I use them all the time, with no issues. I recall a few years ago that whoever was hosting that site was going to take it down, but the Roll20 team stepped in and offered to cover their web hosting expenses to keep it online.
Ah. Okay. I thought they just searched the internet images or something and pulled things that matched. That's why I was worried.
I've never seen the Roll20 art search pull from anywhere other than this site: <a href="http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp" rel="nofollow">http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp</a>

Edited 1521128647
Okay, so anything from that site is good to use? If I enter that in Google images, and the image says it came from that site, would it be okay to use since it seems Roll20 bought them? I assume that's what you're saying happened.
Well, all I can say is I personally have never had any problems with any images taken from that site. And I've never seen anyone else on here say that they have had any problems either. Roll20 does link to it via their art search tool, and always has, so I would think that the devs are confident in it as well. Like I say, as far as I know, Roll20 is still paying the hosting bill for that site to keep it up and running.