Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using Market Place Purchases with 3rd Party Application

Edited 1520979293
Hello, I recently bought some Market Place map pieces to make my own battlemap. I've noticed though that while simply using a premade battlemap does not cause any lag, when I am making a new map--presumably because of all the individual items I have on the map--it tends to lag up. What I want to do it just create those a battlemap similar to the pre-made ones (so it's a single image) with the pieces I purchased from the market. Is it possible to use Market Place purchases with 3rd Party Application? Perhaps there is another trick I am not aware of. Thanks! EDIT: Solved, thanks!
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Some of us creators allow for our products to be downloaded and utilized elsewhere, it entirely depends upon the creator.
Dsurion
Pro
Marketplace Creator
As B Simon Smith said, most creators allows you to download the files, in that case you can use any other program to make the map and them import it as a single image on Roll20.  You can go to the set you want to download on the marketplace and a "Download complete set" button should appear, like this (not sure if there is an easier way to download packs you have purchased)
Dsurion said: As B Simon Smith said, most creators allows you to download the files, in that case you can use any other program to make the map and them import it as a single image on Roll20.  You can go to the set you want to download on the marketplace and a "Download complete set" button should appear, like this (not sure if there is an easier way to download packs you have purchased) Thank you!! I saw that button but did not make the connection.
SquattyPotty said: . What I want to do it just create those a battlemap similar to the pre-made ones (so it's a single image) with the pieces I purchased from the market. How I solve that problem is that I build the map I want within Roll20, using all the bits and pieces of Marketplace artwork I need to complete the scene. Then I screenshot the whole thing (I personally use Bandicam, I have a licensed copy), but there are many other options for taking screenshots. The screenshot image sometimes has to be reformatted because the file size is too big for uploading into Roll20. But doing so typically results in no noticeable loss of image quality. Anyway, if I am happy with the screenshot image, I can delete the original build with all the individual artwork images, upload the single screenshot image onto the Map Layer, and that is what will be used for actual gameplay.
Brett E. said: SquattyPotty said: . What I want to do it just create those a battlemap similar to the pre-made ones (so it's a single image) with the pieces I purchased from the market. How I solve that problem is that I build the map I want within Roll20, using all the bits and pieces of Marketplace artwork I need to complete the scene. Then I screenshot the whole thing (I personally use Bandicam, I have a licensed copy), but there are many other options for taking screenshots. The screenshot image sometimes has to be reformatted because the file size is too big for uploading into Roll20. But doing so typically results in no noticeable loss of image quality. Anyway, if I am happy with the screenshot image, I can delete the original build with all the individual artwork images, upload the single screenshot image onto the Map Layer, and that is what will be used for actual gameplay. I was thinking of doing this but was unsure how the quality would turn out, such as when zooming in? Has it worked well for you?
It's worked very well for me, my maps now load much much faster than when I was using individual pieces of artwork to illustrate a scene. I mean, sure, there's a bit of a trade-off in image quality. But it really only becomes noticeable when zoomed in. For example, here is a building I recently created using the above method, zoomed in at 200%: And here is the same view at 100%: The center and left-side building, I decorated and screenshotted using the method described in my earlier post. The building on the right is a pre-set I purchased from the Marketplace. As you can see, the images are perfectly acceptable for game-play but the map loads much faster than it would if all those different items depicted were their own separate image file which has to be loaded individually. Hope this helps!
Wonderful, thanks!
I should clarify, in the above example, I created and decorated the buildings individually, and then screenshotted them. Then I dropped those building images onto a background of grass tiles. The pathways connecting the buildings are also their own image files. I just wanted to make clear that the entire image isn't one big screenshot that I will use for gameplay. You could do it that way I suppose. But I prefer to screenshot buildings individually. That way, the same building image can be recycled onto a new map, should I need it. As an example, you could build a generic peasant's hut, screenshot the floor plan, and add it to your Roll20 art library. Then, anytime you need a peasant's hut, just drop that image onto the map.