Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Loading games, biggest loading time thieves.

Hello again fine folks, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but, my game is loading pretty slow when you enter it and character sheets takes a while to load, so I have a few questions about this. Character sheet that I use it Shaped 5e along with the Companion script. I've added all monster tokens from the Monster Manual. I have a lot of item handouts with pictures, not very large pictures, mostly around 50-200kb each if that. The PC tokens Ive made in gimp is usually around 100kb-300kb. Same for NPC tokens, monster tokens are 100-500kb. The maps that's in use atm is around 700kb each, I have around 7 map pages in use at all times, for random encounters, country, town maps. I have 11 PCs, 28 handouts and 41 archived maps, many of the maps complete with dynamic lightning added and such. I also have about 31 active PC/NPC sheets and all monsters from MM. If anyone could rank from 1-10 the biggest factors for a game loading slow and character sheets loading slowly, it would be deeply appreciated! =D Also do archived maps/handouts/PCs factor in at all or do they only load when you open the archived... archive? Thanks a lot in advance! /Calle
Gold
Forum Champion
Ranked (from what I've seen), 1. The total number of Attributes on "Characters" in the campaign. Each Character Sheet that's added is adding a bunch more attribute fields. . . 2. The amount of different graphics and the size of the graphics files on the Page that is currently loading. . . . 3. If you have dynamic lighting on the page, how complex are the DL walls and the number of light sources emitting light? So the main issue with your campaign, by far probably, is having all of those monsters (How many, anyway?), on top of 11 PC's (no problem) and a bunch of NPC's (31? Might be okay if there weren't also dozens of monsters). If you can cut all that down to about 20-40 total, you could see big improvement in responsive speeds. You can store Characters (the monsters + old NPC's who aren't in use currently) in the Character Vault or in another campaign (perhaps called your Holding Tank campaign, or Monster storage, or whatever!). As a Pro subscriber you can use the Transmogrify tool to bring-over the monsters or NPC's that you might need in-game on any given day or week or month. Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Transmogrifier" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Transmogrifier</a>
Thanks for your reply! 1: I had no idea Attributes did this, I will be culling my NPCs and Character sheets, I have alot ready because its a One Shot system. Will they still draw power so to speak if they are archived? Or is it best to transmogrify or delete the ones im not using currently? 2: I've resized the maps alot today, At one time my world map were 11MB... I realized it were to big, resized it down to 2mb... Yesterday i resized it to 700kb. Will resize all maps and lower the quality alot. =P 3: The DL isnt that advanced, except for the maze map, i guess. Only active light source are the player tokens to be honest. Maybe 1-5 small candles on two maps i think. Active monsters in the one shot campaign is... around 400 XD Im gonna be throwing alot of them into the archive today. Thanks again! =)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Using the Archive button for characters doesn't do anything other than hide them on your journal tab. They are still loaded into memory when you enter the campaign. The only way to really take them out is to Transmogrify or Vault them and delete the in-game copy. If you have a huge number to do, it might be much, much quicker just to duplicate the campaign and make that your library.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, I have been told that having maps with an inordinate number of square/hexes on them can impact performance greatly. Recommended numbers vary, but 30 x 40 would be a lot better than 100 x 100.

Edited 1521225990
Ah, And i just spent 10 min archiving so.. SO many monsters haha Thanks for the info, I'll copy and delete them instead. I don't think atm that i have any map over 30x30, country map is the biggest page with 28x28, the country map were made with a hexagon grid and the map page is without hexes.

Edited 1521227886
Tried to make a copy of the game but nothing copied over... Trying again! Again nothing copied over.... -_-; Only thing that actually copied over where players that has been invited, the shaped sheet and companion script. Otherwise its completely empty.
Hi Vanguard, What is the name of the game you are attempting to copy over?
Hiya Drespar The game is called Oneshots, tried copying it about four times, nothing ever carried over except invited players. /Calle