Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro trick...

Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I'm looking for a way to make a Macro return a whisper to the person who clicked it... is there a better way than just /w "@{selected|token_name}" ((message))?
I too am curious about self targeting flags
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Nope, macros don't have any way to access the speaking as or who sent them. (other than the /me command)
Scott C. said: Nope, macros don't have any way to access the speaking as or who sent them. (other than the /me command) I heard similar about nestable tables, but recently found there's a rather roundabout way to do exactly that as a free user
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Scott C. said: Nope, macros don't have any way to access the speaking as or who sent them. (other than the /me command) Oh no what I mean is... GM drops a API Command Button into Chat. Player then clicks button. Button sends /w "Person who clicked the button" ((message goes here))
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Not possible without the API. There's no @{me} or @{player}.  The best you could do, if you knew all the players up front, is to whisper them each an individual message with their player name already in it.  That's not going to work for a module though.  If you know up front what PCs will be in it, you could whisper those, but that's pretty much it.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: Not possible without the API. There's no @{me} or @{player}.  The best you could do, if you knew all the players up front, is to whisper them each an individual message with their player name already in it.  That's not going to work for a module though.  If you know up front what PCs will be in it, you could whisper those, but that's pretty much it. Thanks The Aaron. Had a nagging feeling I couldn't. Pity.
When you use a macro to send a whisper - do you see a message like " To: Player: whisper text " ?  I think you do but can't test right now.  If so, then your macro can be set to send a whisper to a dummy player, and you will see your "To" echo.