Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quick Question Regarding Open Rolls

Edited 1521828070
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi guys. I'm working on a character sheet at the moment for a game called "Trudvang Chronicles". I'm going to be adding roll buttons soon and I'd like some advice from the community. The game uses "open rolls" in certain circumstances. An open roll is similar to exploding dice, except you roll again based on a target number, rather than on a critical success. The target number will also take modifiers into account. From the DM guide: Sometimes you will see the abbreviation “OR” after 1d10, which stands for “open roll.” This means that if you roll a number equal to or larger than the one shown after the “OR” label, you can roll the die again. If your second roll is also high enough, you can roll again, and again, until you roll less than the OR value. Your final result is the total of all the dice you rolled. I know that I can do this quite easily with an API script but the user who requested this sheet does not have a pro-level membership. I think  that it's possible with sheetworker scripts, though I haven't looked too closely at it yet. I have seen an API script for "Anima: Beyond Fantasy" that uses the open roll method. Is there any reason I shouldn't attempt to do this through the sheetworkers? Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Edit: If you haven't heard of Trudvang Chronicles, check it out. The artwork is AMAZING!

Edited 1521829950
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
So it essentially a  exploding roll with the threshold as a variable?  [[@{attribute}d10!<@{or_condition}]] You could use two ! if you want to see what the total of each open dice. I've heard of it and agree with you,the artwork is amazing. RiotOnline's intro videos have way too epic soundtrack.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for the reply, Andreas. So you're suggesting that instead of applying the modifier to the roll, I apply the inverse of the modifier to the threshold? I did consider that, but I was a bit worried that it would make things confusing for the end user. If that's the path of least resistance, it might be the way I have to go. I haven't seen any of RiotOnline's videos yet, but I'm googling right now!

Edited 1521833198
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
How you display to the player is another matter, but that should work anyway. Are the dice and the threshold value presented together to the player, coming from the sheet, or are either/both modified by circumstances?  If  they both are on the sheet, you can have a dropdown menu to select values, hiding this from the end user: <select name="attr_attribute" >  <option value="1" selected>1</option>  <option value="2" >2</option> <option value="3" >3</option>  </select>   <select name="attr_threshold" >  <option value="0" selected>Not Open</option>  <!--this makes the requirement for exploding impossible, as the roll can't be under zero --> <option value="9" >9</option>  <option value="10" >10</option>  </select> Then the roll button could be: <button type='roll' name='roll_RollButton' value='/roll @{attribute}d10!<@{threshold}'></button>
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, I feel a bit foolish. I didn't actually understand how the open rolls were working. I thought that the modifier had to be applied before, but it's actually afterwards, which makes everything so much easier. Thank you for the excellent example, Andreas. I'm going to do exactly as you suggest. :) I looked at the videos and you're right about the music! Epic!
Hi! just wondering how the sheet for Trudvang is going? :D