Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Using '/w ' to whisper to yourself no longer an option?

Edited 1521995386
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Did something change with using "/w " in chat to whisper to yourself?&nbsp; Seems that this used to work... <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Whispers</a> A player or the GM can whisper to themselves using the /w or /w gm commands where applicable. Thanks

Edited 1521995741
Gold
Forum Champion
Edit: update based on your screenshot,&nbsp; you need to put /w VINCE test not /w test unless you have a Character named "test" that is controlled by Vince --------- Just tested and it's still working normally for me, Vince. What are you seeing? Of course I will send the usual Troubleshooting steps and move this to Bugs & Technical Issues forum, if called for. I did a triple-test, /w gm Messages comes through to me the GM /w GOLD Message comes through to me the player /w TheGoldCharacter Message comes through to me as a Character controller

Edited 1521996139
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm sure I'm off my rocker... I thought we could enter "/w test" and it would whisper "test" to me as a player.&nbsp; Instead, it tries to find a character/player with the name "test" and errors out.&nbsp; I quoted the wiki which seems to indicate that would work as well.&nbsp; I get the concept/syntax of using a character/player name as well.&nbsp; Just thought when left out, it used to default to the player making the whisper.&nbsp; lol
Gold
Forum Champion
As far as I remember it's always called for a Target/Name after the /w and the only Non-Player/Character generic name that can be used is "gm". If you use /talktomyself ON once then everything after that will be, effectively, a hidden-from-others chat to yourself. Could that be what you're thinking of? The wiki text you quoted appears, technically, correct if not absolutely clear. It says you can use /w "where applicable", and the applicability is when you've named who the whisper goes to!

Edited 1521997774
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Groovy.&nbsp; Just recalled it differently, but the syntax/methodology makes perfect sense.&nbsp; You may close this at your leasure.