Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map Change vs Page Navigator

What is the community recommendation?   Which one of these is better for non-programmer types.  Map change seems to have nice little chat buttons for everything but I'm still not sure exactly how either of them work.  Page Navigator SEEMS to have a bigger learning curve to set up. Any ideas?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I am of course biased towards Page Navigator, but here's my take on it from the perspective of why I made the design decisions I did: Page Navigator assumes that all pages are gm only, unless you tag them as player. Map change is the reverse (all pages are accessible to anyone). Considering how I run my games, where nearly all maps are encounter maps, this seems backwards to me Page Navigator will actually do exactly what Mapchange does without any setup. The setup is only required if you want to have automated movement triggered area transitions that will automatically copy tokens over to the new map. This is really the only feature difference between the two.
Map change does not appear to create tokens for the players when it moves them to the new map.  But I think Page Navigator does, does it not?  Is there a video tutorial on how to use Page Navigator?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, Map Change only moves the player's view to the new page. Page Navigator without any setup also does this, but with setup of the script and setup of your maps, it can also move tokens over to the new map, or the new area of the current map. I haven't created a video tutorial yet, but my plan is to give it a more in depth user manual and some video tutorials or at least embedded gifs. This will just depend on when I have time to spend some quality time with it (along with most of my other scripts). Also, as you know from your other post, there are also some bugs that are being recalcitrant about being solved.
If you ever have time to run me through how it works, I would be glad to train others as well.

Edited 1522259612
I tried both. With Page Navigator I have tried to figure out how to set up token teleportation for maybe 3 hours, and I was still not getting the results I expected. the script documentation needs to be improved, I would say. But I was still interested in automatic token movement and I wanted to keep trying; but in the end I decided to use Map Change, because I started getting sandbox crashes, in things I did not understand fully. Stability is the #1 priority for me - a mid session API crash is horrible. EDIT: I just created a video for one of my scripts, and it is a bit challenging at first, but it becomes quite easy with time. I used ShotCut for vid editing, OBS Studio for screen capture, and GIMP 2.0 for thumbnail creation. In the end it becomes acessible work, just remember to take breaks in the guide - so you can later just edit out part you do not like.
I have sunk a lot of hours into understanding the script too and actually had to give up until the bugfixes are landing. But I could explain most of Page Navigator 1.X by now (because I'm running that currently). I don't think it does area transitions but it will create the tokens at specified locations when you switch a map.
Gold
Forum Champion
I'm interested in adding one of these to my usual API script regime as well. Not currently using either. Spent a little bit of time with an early version of Page Nav, many months ago. Following the thread, and saying thank you to the scriptomancers of both.
I don't want to anticipate in case Scott wants to write something up himself, but if needed I can write something up about Page Navigator 1.4.7 (I believe) tomorrow. I'm not sure everything is by the book, but its what I got working.
I would love to see it as I have a game starting next week and I hate having to always delete tokens and then change page and pull the ribbon and then drag tokens.  It takes time.  If I could build some macros to take care of that for me it would be great.  I just need to get the basics down of how the script works.

Edited 1522323692
@Omegaman, two things to consider: 1. There is another big advantage of automatic player ribbon changes - if your map is quite big and sandbox-like, it is not always easy to know where this path now takes the players, neither is it easy to actually place them in the right page. 2. Automatic token switching has one problem: if you just use player ribbon switching you can take the player to the next map, but as long as there are no tokens they control they will see everything black with DL set up correctly. So you can make sure everything is how it should be and that they landed in the right map. And then you paste the tokens in. Automatically doing it might put them in the map before you are ready.