Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Art Thread

It was Doyce.  I've talked to him a couple times about the picture for illustrations I've done for the game.
Thanks, Doyce! The picture was memorable, even if the original poster of it here was not!
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
I was me, and I think I even mentioned after its introduction that it was from a Korra Modern AU art series I'd stumbled over. She ditched the glove before following her dad's instructions for getting captured and incarcerated by Byron Quill. It's stashed in the city somewhere, or with someone, or something of that nature. Alycia hasn't had time (or freedom) to recover the thing.
Thankee.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: Alright, here's what I was working on with Charade's design.  Using a lot more of the the Reformed's design, but still very Alycia.  Opinions? SO often, when I'm reading a comic I love, someone on the team will change and the book just isn't as enjoyable for me.  You'd THINK that if I were in it for the story, switching art wouldn't matter, or vice-verse. This is a long way to say "damn Mike I love having your art of this game - it informs so much of my thinking." So... thanks. :)
Hear-hear!
Doyce T. said: This is a long way to say "damn Mike I love having your art of this game - it informs so much of my thinking." So... thanks. :) *** Dave H. said: Hear-hear!

Edited 1521510437
So as I mentioned over at the  Valediction thread , I did up a couple of quick  Plotagon characters for Aria and Summer . I based it on the image on the Wiki ... ... though of course I was constrained, a bit, by the costume pieces available. That said ... It's kind of easy to cheat a bit with the two of them, of course, since certain attributes are a matter of just copying over. It's the most fun figuring out where they differ (Alycia's snark notwithstanding). They're only in one quick shot in the video, but I had fun with them.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Went and thought through how I'd like to do character based images for the wiki and the results are... well they are good but there's some limitations. (Admittedly, a bit of this was an excuse to draw Link because I feel like I'm getting better at illustrating the illusion of complexity needed for simplistic power armor designs.  Not great mind you, just better.) I kept the aesthetic of the simplistic drawings I was doing earlier , with the same fixed-width pen and lack of shade, though I have added some shading to the lines*.  This increase in detail comes with more time investment: the simple drawings took about 15-30 minutes**, these take about an hour/hour-and-a-half***.  This means less "six done over a boring evening at home" to "two or three over the weekend with maybe a couple throughout the week."  Considering I had no schedule before hand means that I'll probably never make it through the whole cast list****.  But that could have been true regardless. So with this in mind, I think my plan going forward is less "draw whoever I feel like or who the Random button on the wiki tells me to draw"****** and more focusing on the core cast, then the supporting cast, and finally the extras (and whatever other one and done characters have shown up).  But who is that?  Well, here's how I break that particular set of characters down: Main Cast (15) Charade Alycia Chin ******* Concord Adam Amari Ghost Girl ******** Jason Quill ********* Armored Form Link Leo Snow Mercury Harry Gale Otto (Car Form) Otto (Humanoid Form) Pneuma Aria Newman Supporting Cast  (22) A10 Andi Fairchild Brigand Bryon Quill Jordan Amari Khamala Amari Maury Jones Nassir Amari Nono Rodriguez Numina Summer Skye Numan Rebecca (Power Pony) Rosa Rook Rook Drone Silver Streak James Swift Stingray Trace Taz Ted Waters Tempest Helen Gale Extras  (19) Achilles Chin Agent 1337 Alloy Amir Quill Armiger Comet Uncle Matt Chase Director Craig Costigan Doctor Dawes The Dread Queen Vyortovian Soldiers Ghostheart Ghostheart's Minions Hecate Hector Callado Kid Kelvin Magnus Everard Rusty Byrne Superchica Keri One-Offs (19)********** Animal Bob Grandma Swift Facet The Farlander Hannibal Lectric Hyena Jaguar Iconoclast Lucius Jaycee Nautilus Ninjess Sablestar Sigrun the Valkyrie Takanka Tasha Star Vector Vigil * To lighten up the design in this case. ** Depending on the character.  Telekinetian took longer due to having to design him from scratch.  The Monkey with the Hat took about 10 because I just drew what amused me and didn't redo much because its a cartoon monkey in a funny hat***********. *** That might just be the increased complexity of Link's design. **** Of which I was at 16% completed*****. ***** At the time of this writing.  Watch April roll around and that get pushed down to like 10ish.  :P ****** Though I still likely will, just because I need a break occasionally and they are fun for figuring out designs and playing around with characters. ******* Yeah, I'm counting civilian and hero identities separately, where needed. ******** Such as this.  A living Charlotte Palmer is mostly just a pallet swap of Ghost Girl.  Same for the holograms. ********* For now. ********** So far.  I also left out anyone who hasn't had a speaking line or got thrown into someone else************. *********** Bowlers are inherently amusing. ************ That is really the way you determine if anyone is important in a superhero comic, after all. ************* The is no footnote 13, I just like footnote gags.
However you choose to prioritize is almost certainly going to be okay. I'd maybe look to see where there are gaps, and where supporting cast seem to be playing a more significant role. Achilles Chin, for example,  has both a lot of existing art on his page and is (for the nonce) out of the picture; it might be of more value getting Grandma Swift done before him. I also wouldn't downplay drawing who you want to draw (using the list as a suggestion, not a requirement). This is a creative effort, not a job assignment. 😀
Yeah, this is me just trying to impose some priorities into what I'm doing.  Am I going to follow those priorities?  Maybe, maybe not.  I'm flighty like that.  But if I can get the main cast finished, I'll count that as a win.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Aside from just liking the art, that red-tinged look with the glowing eyes looks pretty intimidating, the sort of thing a 17-year-old macho inventor might think is cool. It's pretty plain, but has to be in order to allow combination. Leo's idea of how to improve it:&nbsp; <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MechaEx" rel="nofollow">http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MechaEx</a>... Aria's:&nbsp; <a href="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FrillyU" rel="nofollow">http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FrillyU</a>...
Still arting in the background.&nbsp; Just very slowly. Had a picture of Alycia I was working on.&nbsp; Couldn't get the pose to work out and the outfit wasn't a good replacement for the one I already posted but loved how the face turned out so I decided to crop to down and repurpose it so that we had more in-character memes.
"I think you're mistaking me for Jason Quill. All my plans are fully assed. Wait. That's not right even in translation." (I like the picture, btw, though not sure about the violet irises. Unless they're a keen optics contacts-based system of some sort.)
*** Dave H. said: "I think you're mistaking me for Jason Quill. All my plans are fully assed. Wait. That's not right even in translation." (I like the picture, btw, though not sure about the violet irises. Unless they're a keen optics contacts-based system of some sort.) So wait, did the purple/green debacle ever get solved?
Oh, God.&nbsp; I completely forgot . "I can never remember what color her eyes are. I mean, half the time it's dark, or smoky, or full of explosions, or lightning bolts, or laser beams. Green? Or maybe purple. Something ... exotic. You know. Gemstones. So hard, sometimes. I mean, like they could cut right through you. Scary. Scaaaaaaaary." ... "Green. Definitely green. Is that unusual?" ... "Or purple. Definitely green or purple. I think. What were we talking about?" To be fair, it's not necessarily canonical. And he was drunk. And, like he said, it wasn't the best of observational opportunities. Or, maybe, I just completely forgot about that. :-) Well, since I have a Chinese character elsefiction with green eyes, if we're going to go with something, we'll say violet. At least under the right lighting conditions.
Trying to figure out some Gardner dress code appropriate outfits for... reasons.
Been working on simplifying some of the Newman Trio's designs.&nbsp; Not 100% happy with all of them, but I do enjoy the simplification of Link's suit--though it does need some flair to the design.&nbsp; Same with Pneuma's armored form. Otto is the odd one here.&nbsp; First, I drew these before drawing Leo and Aria.&nbsp; What I did, however, was watch a couple of giant robot shows (Transformers, Brave Police J-Decker [the source of Otto's image on the wiki]) and drew something based on them.&nbsp; Maybe kind of happy with the final design (4), with the obvious engine hood chest piece and engine block-themed&nbsp; forearms, but I do think something is missing. Also, since this is a bit of a Link-themed post, I also sketched out a possible design for Rossum (much more based on a balding Dr. Tenma than the Fringe character brought up last game) and Stingray and father&nbsp;Nautilus.

Edited 1523241702
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Top row, 3 and 4 (Link Suit, without/with helmet): an interesting cross of knightly and military feels. A boxy, masculine look. In particular, the slope of the chest has that kind of tank-armor vibe going on. Real sloped armor would basically be sending rounds down to his legs and crotch this way, but this is comic books. :) Top row, 5 and 6 (Aria armored/civilian): Looks like the Gardner Academy dress style for girls? She looks like she has seen some shit. I'm sorry Leo has been so hard to deal with, Aria! :( Bottom row, item #2: Feels like a scaled-up version of the Link Suit itself, including color scheme. He also has the gmail icon as a belt buckle? Sorry, couldn't help it :) It's such a tiny detail, but the cheek definition gives him the impression of age and maturity compared to #4. Bottom row, items #3 and #4: The proportions look a lot more like a gorilla than a human. Was that intentional? The forearms have that Big O thing going on:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/b8/f6/f9b8f65942" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/b8/f6/f9b8f65942</a>... I can't get away from that headlights-as-nipples thing. The sunglasses and grin are fucking spot on personality-wise. Balding Rossum: the nose continues to be on point (ha ha). Walter/Walternate definitely both have a full head of hair, to say nothing of Dr. Tenma, but this is good too. It looks a lot like the original Professor Moriarty by Sidney Paget:&nbsp; <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Moriarty#/" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Moriarty#/</a>... Bonus art: here's someone doing Big O in the style of Gigantor:&nbsp; <a href="https://rakugaki-otoko.deviantart.com/art/Art-trad" rel="nofollow">https://rakugaki-otoko.deviantart.com/art/Art-trad</a>...
Bill G. said: Top row, 3 and 4 (Link Suit, without/with helmet): an interesting cross of knightly and military feels. A boxy, masculine look. In particular, the slope of the chest has that kind of tank-armor vibe going on. Real sloped armor would basically be sending rounds down to his legs and crotch this way, but this is comic books. :) I started thinking about Leo's designs and came to the conclusion that this is a guy who prefers function over design.&nbsp; While a Nautilus or a Plasma Prince has financial backing for their designs, Leo has to scrimp and make due with that he has.&nbsp; Does that fit with the modular setup that his tech has?&nbsp; Not really, but it certainly visually conveys "these are simple designs from someone who is still coming into their genius."&nbsp; And then the Newmans' designs blow that out of the water. :P Bill G. said: Bottom row, item #2: Feels like a scaled-up version of the Link Suit itself, including color scheme. He also has the gmail icon as a belt buckle? Sorry, couldn't help it :) It's such a tiny detail, but the cheek definition gives him the impression of age and maturity compared to #4 I really do want someone to look at Otto, Link, and Pneuma and think "okay, these were all designed by the same person," thus the shared elements.&nbsp; This was before I designed the top row though, so I didn't work out a similarly designed Otto unfortunately.&nbsp; However, hearing that age and maturity part (while not intentional with that choice) certainly is something I think is important to Otto's design, so I think I'll keep that in later iterations. As for the gmail icon (ugh, now I can't unsee it) and the circular design on (4), I wanted something to visually represent the intention sync thingy that I'm failing on remembering the name of at the moment (I keep wanting to say heart drive, but that's probably because the heart factory has been so prominent lately).&nbsp; Necessary?&nbsp; No, but in a comic it would be a nice visual signifier for when Link and the Newmans are on the same page (also, Link and the Newmans sounds like both the Saturday morning cartoon series of those kids' adventures and some mid-week broadcast network sitcom). Bill G. said: Bottom row, items #3 and #4: The proportions look a lot more like a gorilla than a huma. Was that intentional? The forearms have that Big O thing going on:&nbsp; <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/b8/f6/f9b8f65942" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/b8/f6/f9b8f65942</a>... Very intentional proportions here.&nbsp; Otto's the big guy of the Newmans, so I wanted that to carry over in&nbsp; the design more than just with the height.&nbsp; (As a bonus,&nbsp; here's Kasia Slupecka talking about a similar design concept as it pertains to Street Fighter characters--I love the weird tangents you can get into when talking about art, from comic books to fighting games. :P) Not going to lie, I love Big O's more than a little bit and&nbsp; his design really sells the&nbsp; look of a boxer .&nbsp; Given that that's Link's go to fighting style and the Megadeuce's chains remind me of the skyhook system, it seemed like a good parallel to make.&nbsp; Just need to make it look less "Big O shields" and more " V-8 engine block " to fit the car aesthetic. Bill G. said: I can't get away from that headlights-as-nipples thing. Well, we're getting rid of those.&nbsp; Did not even think of that. Bill G. said: The sunglasses and grin are fucking spot on personality-wise. But of course. Bill G. said: Balding Rossum: the nose continues to be on point (ha ha). Walter/Walternate definitely both have a full head of hair, to say nothing of Dr. Tenma, but this is good too. It looks a lot like the original Professor Moriarty by Sidney Paget:&nbsp; <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Moriarty#/" rel="nofollow">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Moriarty#/</a>... The balding aspect, in hindsight, is some very generic mad scientist design tropes and generic is something I should be avoiding.&nbsp; I might do something closer to Walter/Walernate's hair style in future images (Doyce, if you want something specific for tomorrow's game, you know where the suggestion box is) but this was mostly just a "can I get something that feels right for the character."&nbsp; Further iterations will definately be needed.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Simplicity : you're doing great, I mean, we're comparing this design against&nbsp; this guy , whose art correctly conveys that he's ridiculously overdone the suit. And in the real world, we have cosplayers doing&nbsp; this stuff , and it's "practical" in the sense that some such suits do permit movement and everyday activities. Shared Elements : To me, that's already coming through. I can clearly see the color palette you have going on with all of them. Heart Gauge : It wasn't intended to be a visible thing. If this were a TV show, we'd cut to some kind of gauge at critical moments. Although if you want that, and a shared visual, we talked about Tron Lines or something similar awhile back. Having those tracing paths from the heart (center of chest) to the various attachment points on the body, visually indicating readiness to combine, would be neat. That's probably more visual work than is worth it, and probably works better in animation. I uh, I take no responsibility for the top image posted here:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.tokunation.com/showthread.php?t=866&pag" rel="nofollow">http://www.tokunation.com/showthread.php?t=866&pag</a>... I'd watch (or listen to, that'd be a fun band name) the shit out of Link & the Newmans. Proportions : I'm with you on the intent, but I feel like making him&nbsp; wider rather than squatter could do the same thing? I dig&nbsp; Optimus Primal , but I don't think that's Otto. Bald : "Classic Mad Scientist" is probably okay, the dude's even named Rossum. If you want to have fun with it, he normally wear a toupee but this is him as nature has left him. I'd be weirded out if we went too far the other way and ended up with Dr. Mohawk or something. :) John Noble is great, and can play that great mix of paternal concern, wacked-out wunderkind, and psychopathic fuck-you that makes Rossum a nasty villain. But for faces, there's another John that might be interesting to look at, if you need ideas that are all over the map. <a href="https://411mania.com/movies/the-411-douchebag-of-t" rel="nofollow">https://411mania.com/movies/the-411-douchebag-of-t</a>... <a href="https://johnkennethmuir.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/t" rel="nofollow">https://johnkennethmuir.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/t</a>...
Oh. That first John Glover shot. That's exquisite.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Oh. That first John Glover shot. That's exquisite. Yaaaaasssss...

Edited 1523290277
And, actually, the first shot in the second link, as a "young" Rossum, and a sign of how he's ... changed over the decades. "I, ladies and gentlemen of the court, am a scientist ." "There is so much more than science -- mere knowledge -- to this world, my son. I'll help you understand that, one way or another ..."
Here's a bigger image of what I'm using as my icon now.&nbsp; Very fitting after Issue 35.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
YOWZA.

Edited 1524622289
Mike
Pro
More Concord stuff.&nbsp; I decided to put together a quick model sheet of all the various Concords seen throughout the "series."&nbsp; (Including a set that haven't been seen yet -- someday...) Sadly, this also reminded me just how much I loved Concord's original design.&nbsp; Such a cute kid.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
It's not just Concord, your art style has clearly powered the fuck up as well. Looks amazing. :)
^+1!
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: Still arting in the background.&nbsp; Just very slowly. Had a picture of Alycia I was working on.&nbsp; Couldn't get the pose to work out and the outfit wasn't a good replacement for the one I already posted but loved how the face turned out so I decided to crop to down and repurpose it so that we had more in-character memes. Have you got this without the text? I needs it. :)
*CONCERNED*
I can get something together when I get home.&nbsp; Any specific requirements?&nbsp; (Size, bg, etc.)
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Nothing special. Just whatever size that is. Useful for text-memeifying.
Well, this is a story. Normally I keep everything, regardless of quality.&nbsp; Want a picture I drew in 2016 for a post-apocalyptic game that never even made it to the first session? I have that. You want the first comic I ever drew digitally from 2009?&nbsp; I have that (though I'm not sharing it because the work is garbage and the writing is terrible and it makes no sense unless you played in my D&D game at the time). You want a sketch I drew in 2006 on a piece of cardboard during a slow day at my college job at a paint store?&nbsp; I have too. What I do not have is the original PSD file for the Alycia picture or the Agent Parker portrait (which was the same file).&nbsp; I have not idea why.&nbsp; I swear I've opened them up since then but I cannot find them.&nbsp; It's honestly making me a little upset that I can't find them, but that'll pass. So, though from shenanigans, here's what you asked for Doyce.&nbsp; It's about the best I could do without quality issues.&nbsp; I know it only matters to me, but I'd like a different background.
Along that same vein, I drew a Waters because I've been wanting to draw a matching picture to Parker.&nbsp; (Who I'm going to need to redraw now that I know I don't have the original.&nbsp; GRRR!)
Since there's some future Rossum stuff going on I sketched both Rossum in his prime... And Rossum as he is currently in whatever blacksite they've shipped him off to now.&nbsp; Both obviously on the John Glover images referenced before.&nbsp; Oddly enough, I also have a vague&nbsp; H.P. Lovecraft look to him, but honestly I think that's to a villain of class's benefit more than anything. I'm still debating on the soft, colored lines (Waters above) or the bold, black lines (Rossum here).&nbsp; It's a style choice and I go back and forth on it.
I tend to favor the black lines, but they're both well done.
Trying out some designs.&nbsp; Harry only changed slightly, though that was mostly so he wasn't using the exact same color scheme I had in mind for A10 (and make him a bit closer to his dad's design).&nbsp; I'm really happy with the A10 design (especially that Thunderbolt reference on the back between the wings).&nbsp; Just trying some stuff with Summer (though I'm not really happy with it, mostly because I came up with this mostly in a vacuum and it doesn't feel like something Summer would pick out for herself).&nbsp; And Agent 1337, not deviating too far from the source material except for some flourishes (that's my typing wrist brace).
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I have an entire Pinterest board for her, with some recent additions:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/radiance" rel="nofollow">https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/radiance</a>... A lot of it is just intended to feed Pinterest's similar/related matching engine, but a few do look like something she'd use.&nbsp;I've done my best to not get into the specifics of what the Newman girls look like in practice (for many reasons), but when it comes time to actually draw them, I have to concede some ground. :)&nbsp; So here's a few favorites: <a href="http://wiki.menagerie.team/images/thumb/8/81/Radia" rel="nofollow">http://wiki.menagerie.team/images/thumb/8/81/Radia</a>... - my default choice for her mundane face, it captures that nice mix of friendliness and confusion that's her time at Blintzkrieg... <a href="http://wiki.menagerie.team/images/thumb/4/49/Radia" rel="nofollow">http://wiki.menagerie.team/images/thumb/4/49/Radia</a>... - my default for her early super mode, a robot experiencing wonder. <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f6/07/12/f6071292e0a9fe1" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/564x/f6/07/12/f6071292e0a9fe1</a>... - someone who looks distinctive rather than just blandly beautiful. <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/564x/6f/12/5b/6f125b11f8c1989" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/564x/6f/12/5b/6f125b11f8c1989</a>... - a very Janus-like transition between mundane life and superheroing. This character didn't take Aria's advice of "no skirts while flying", unfortunately. <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/e3/33/50e3337743" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/e3/33/50e3337743</a>... - Summer has finally had enough of Alycia's anti-robot nonsense? So the short version is that you're pretty close for what she'd start with, looks good. :)&nbsp; She's probably going to go through some costume evolution, so if you have alternatives, any or all of those might appear. :)
Bill G. said: <a href="https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/e3/33/50e3337743" rel="nofollow">https://i.pinimg.com/originals/50/e3/33/50e3337743</a>... - Summer has finally had enough of Alycia's anti-robot nonsense? That's certainly aligned with Alycia's nightmares on the subject.&nbsp;

Edited 1525566344
Mike
Pro
Thanks for the refs, Bill.&nbsp; I tried some more designs, but then I had a thought... "Wait, Radiance and Charade are kind of diametric opposites&nbsp; (hell, there's a bit of that in the names alone).&nbsp; Maybe let's play around with that." And then I drew Otto's bear-atar (because we all need warm-ups). I like that you instantly read Radiance as "everything is going to be okay, I'm here to help" and Charade reads as "I'm here to get a job done."&nbsp; Not 100% on all of the details (I don't think Summer's gauntlets and greaves read well, but I wanted something metal in those areas due to how Summer's flight works.&nbsp; Maybe simplified metal bands like the old version of Charade's design...) but a nice starting point.
I like the idea of Charade/Radiance (Alycia/Summer) being opposites in profound ways (or, more positively, complements), and reflecting that subtly in the outfits.&nbsp; A note on Charade's gloves/gauntlets. I keep riffing off the original drawing, which does have them as (enhanced) gloves. And that would need to be plural in terms of powering up the batons. And to let her use dual pistols, batons, or just punch people real good, they would need to be supple enough to not interfere with her movement. So that's my feedbac on the "???" highlight. But I'm really liking the overall effect. (And, to be honest, in comic book style, it doesn't have to all make "sense", just look good. :-) ) I like losing the " mouth " on the mask. I get that it upped the creepy factor, and maybe something else can work there, but I like this better. (I love all of this stuff, in so many ways, and remain seriously wowed by all the creative work you put into this.) Also, though you didn't mention it, I love the Ottobear.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Radiance : Definitely has a&nbsp; Symmetra thing going on with the side-slit-dress/apron look, plus the diamond accents, face screen, and so on, but almost in the&nbsp; Brigitte colors. Switching franchises, between the face, the hair, and the suggestion of muscle definition, she almost looks like someone remixed&nbsp; Amethyst and&nbsp; Pearl . She still has a secret identity, so either a face-concealing mask or a holographic false face is called for. In terms of overall subjective feel, this feels much more earthy than the airy Pneuma she came from. I feel like she wants to stick close to those roots for awhile, with a more air-water kind of thing going on. I totally agree that the face and posture sells "I'm here to help", and that is awesome. Summer : Part of her clothing challenge will be finding something she can toss off and back on quickly. While she can armor up, making 100% of her surface area combat armor (with plans to make most or all of that capable of emitting hard light), she might need to leave work, get to school, etc. in a hurry. Something loose fitting and full-coverage for her mundane duties, and the green top, pants, and boots here look like they're good for that. Otto : That is about the most 80's bear I can imagine. The only thing missing is the matchstick hanging out of the corner of his mouth. Looks great.
*** Dave H. said: A note on Charade's gloves/gauntlets. I keep riffing off the original drawing, which does have them as (enhanced) gloves. And that would need to be plural in terms of powering up the batons. And to let her use dual pistols, batons, or just punch people real good, they would need to be supple enough to not interfere with her movement. So that's my feedbac on the "???" highlight. But I'm really liking the overall effect. (And, to be honest, in comic book style, it doesn't have to all make "sense", just look good. :-) ) I like losing the " mouth " on the mask. I get that it upped the creepy factor, and maybe something else can work there, but I like this better I'll fix the dual gauntlets next time I do a picture with Charade. Oddly, removing the mouth was more me forgetting about it.&nbsp; Shows how important that was to the design.&nbsp; Honestly, the closer I make Charade to a stylized SWAT officer, the better it feels.&nbsp; Which reminds me, I need to do generic Vyortovian soldiers... Bill G. said: Radiance : Definitely has a&nbsp; Symmetra thing going on with the side-slit-dress/apron look, plus the diamond accents, face screen, and so on, but almost in the&nbsp; Brigitte colors. Switching franchises, between the face, the hair, and the suggestion of muscle definition, she almost looks like someone remixed&nbsp; Amethyst and&nbsp; Pearl . She still has a secret identity, so either a face-concealing mask or a holographic false face is called for. Ugh, I was actually going for more of a Mercy look, though now that you point it out, it does look very Symmetra-like.&nbsp; Funnily, mentioning the Steven Universe stuff, I was going for a&nbsp; Peridot look with with the face mask.&nbsp; I imagine in-universe, the face mask does some false face stuff or just is more oblique and the face being visible is an artistic conceit. Bill G. said: In terms of overall subjective feel, this feels much more earthy than the airy Pneuma she came from. I feel like she wants to stick close to those roots for awhile, with a more air-water kind of thing going on. I totally agree that the face and posture sells "I'm here to help", and that is awesome. That's some unintentional drift.&nbsp; I'll need to fix that with future iterations. Bill G. said: Otto : That is about the most 80's bear I can imagine. The only thing missing is the matchstick hanging out of the corner of his mouth. Looks great. Dammit, I could have added a matchstick.&nbsp; Next time!
Honestly, the closer I make Charade to a stylized SWAT officer, the better it feels. That's not far from the idea that Alycia's "career path" has never been to be a super-hero. Her purpose in being here is not to be a four-color hero of the day. The costume is necessary, and she even understands the psychological value of it, but her experience is, at most, yeah, out in the fields wearing fatigues, or tactical gear. Lady Jaye (or even Scarlett), not Ms/Captain Marvel (or even the Baronness). She needs to strike some sort of fear (or other helpful reaction) from someone she pops up in front of, but she's also not the person who's going to be front-and-center at the press conference (she certainly hopes not).
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mercy Skins: Fusion - more gold than earthy, probably good for someone named "Radiance" Celestial - a white-blue water-air look. Now that you mention it I do see the Peridot mask. Thanks for skipping the diamond-shaped hair, at least. :) I'm grateful for all the time you are putting in on this.&nbsp;
Some iterations on the Radiance design.&nbsp; I'll forgo my normal commentary at the moment due to the late hour and wanting to get this posted tonight (I swear I said "it's 10pm, I'll just make a couple more sketches..." only to look up and notice over two hours had passed), save that 3 and 5 have my favorite wings, 4's face mask ended up look far more evil that I intended, and at certain point I thought "Radiance is going to have Link's grapple system.&nbsp; I wonder if those could look like ribbons?&nbsp; F it, I'll draw it and worry about it later."
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
It's really hard to do justice to in a static sketch, but your mention of Mercy (and the other angel imagery I collected on Pinterest) got me thinking. If this were an animated show, I'd have her wear a necklace or neck ribbon. When she transforms, a holographic ring would spring out of it, travel up from her neck and across her face, and wind up as a halo over her head. The ring would transform her face as it passed up over it.&nbsp; This , but a halo rather than mask and up rather than across. All these look great! 1 - Probably the most mainstream-superhero-fashion costume if your theme is "radiance". Looks like what the Quill Foundation's focus groups would produce for a superhero costume choice. Something she'd probably wear for formal occasions, to visit the HHL, etc. Respectable but still practical. 2 - The wings are more mechanistic but still look like projections, which is cool. She's got kind of a high-tech Naruto-verse ninja look going on. 3 - This looks like the Beacon version, the non-costume she'd throw together on her first day. I really dig it, and I'd love for her to start out with it until she can equip something else. That's probably a mix of Jason asking her to prototype some tech, her finally getting the full-coverage hard light gear going, and the Ponies' Duskshine sitting her down and saying "girl we gotta talk fashion". 4 - Probably the most religious and intimidating look. DCAU's&nbsp; Hawkgirl in her Thanagarian gear, but showing a lot less skin. Goes well with the Angry condition. 5 - Kind of an Egyptian fairy look. The ribbons and where you're going with the cable thing works really well. One change to Leo's setup she's considered is connecting the cables to her internal batteries and turning them into tasers as well (in addition to the usual grab-disarm-pull moves).
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Courtesy of Nono Rodriguez, she also has a cutie mark-- I mean, a superhero symbol. If you get any ideas there, I'd love to see those too.