Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Simplified Greyhawk Initiative Macro

Edited 1523907218
Jedd
KS Backer
Marketplace Creator
I've been wanting to try the "Reversed" Greyhawk Initiative (GI) System for 5th Edition D&D for a while, but couldn't figure out how to do it well. There's a script for the traditional Greyhawk Iniative System, but I like the "Reversed" system better. For those who've not heard of it, the Greyhawk Iniative System functions as such: Normal initiative rules are ignored. Each player determines the actions they'll take in their upcoming turn, and rolls a set of dice corresponding to those actions. The player or monster with the lowest scores go first. Players are monsters are limited to the actions they chose during step two. At the end of the round, players return to step two and the initiative order is calculated again. And the "reversed" system operates this way: Roll for initiative as normal in 5th Edition D&D, except subtract where you used to add (so a +5 to initiative becomes a -5). The player or monster with the lowest scores go first. At the end of each players turn they look at what they did this turn add roll the corresponding initiative dice for their upcoming turn. At the end of the round, players return to step three and the initiative order is calculated again. I like the reversed system better for three reasons: Feats and features that affect initiative still work, and just have to be flipped from a positive number to a negative number. The single biggest issue with the traditional GI system is players getting locked into their choices and finding that sometimes they could do nothing at all on their turn. The reversed system is simple enough that it can be used without a script/pro account. Anyone on Roll20 can use it easily. Based upon both the community feedback and my own playtesting, this is the chart I use for the initiative dice: Action Dice Size Attack Action Weapon Dice Bonus Action d4 Cast a Spell d12 Movement d6 Other Actions (Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Ready, etc.) d6 Reactions none Swap Gear/Item d4 And here is the macro I use for players to input their initiative and end their turns: /w gm **@{selected|token_name}’s Initiative:** [[?{Action|None,d0|d4 Weapon,d4cf4|d6 Weapon,d6cf6|d8 Weapon,d8cf8|d10 Weapon,d10cf10|d12 Weapon,d12cf12|2d6 Weapon (Maximum),2d6cf6|Cast a Spell,d12cf12|Other Action,d6cf6}cs1 [Action] + ?{Bonus Action|None,d0|Yes,d4}cs1cf4 [Bonus Action] + ?{Movement|None,d0|Yes,d6}cs1cf6 [Movement] + ?{Swap Gear|None,d0|Once,d4|Twice,2d4|Thrice,3d4}cs1cf4 [Swap Gear] - [[@{selected|dexterity_mod}*.01]] [Tie-Breaker] &{tracker}]] !eot The "!eot" bit is for The Aaron's turn tracker script and could easily be removed. If you don't want either that or the tie-breaker the script would look like: /w gm **@{selected|token_name}’s Initiative:** [[?{Action|None,d0|d4 Weapon,d4cf4|d6 Weapon,d6cf6|d8 Weapon,d8cf8|d10 Weapon,d10cf10|d12 Weapon,d12cf12|2d6 Weapon (Maximum),2d6cf6|Cast a Spell,d12cf12|Other Action,d6cf6}cs1 [Action] + ?{Bonus Action|None,d0|Yes,d4}cs1cf4 [Bonus Action] + ?{Movement|None,d0|Yes,d6}cs1cf6 [Movement] + ?{Swap Gear|None,d0|Once,d4|Twice,2d4|Thrice,3d4}cs1cf4 [Swap Gear] &{tracker}]] I hope those of you whom have been thinking about this system find this useful!

Edited 1523907675
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, nice!&nbsp; I wrote a post about doing the Greyhawk Initiative without a script (but included a script for setting it up for convenience if you have API).&nbsp; You can probably repurpose some of that stuff for your own Reversed Greyhawk Initiative, particularly the buttons to automatically change the initiative.&nbsp; You can just replace the + with - to get decuctions. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5243461/5e-alternate-initiative-macro/?pageforid=5312873#post-5312873" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/5243461/5e-alternate-initiative-macro/?pageforid=5312873#post-5312873</a>
Jedd
KS Backer
Marketplace Creator
You're pure gold Aaron. Thanks for all you do!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No problem, you're welcome! =D