Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Incorrect 5e Compendium Concentration on Spell(s?)

Edited 1524788687
I have been playing for about 2 Months now, and I have noticed that the Mending Cantrip requires 1 Minute to Cast, yet is not marked as requiring Concentration, yet, the PHB says on around Page 202 Longer Casting Times Certain Spells (including Spells Cast as Rituals) require more time to cast; Minutes or even Hours. When you cast a Spell with a Casting Time longer than a single Action or Reaction, you must spend your Action on each Turn Casting the Spell, and you must maintain Concentration while you do so (see "Concentration" below). If your Concentration is Broken, the Spell Fails, but you don't expend a Spell Slot. If you want to try casting the Spell again, you must Start Over. This means, that Mending, which has a Casting Time of 1 Minute, is, in fact, a Concentration Spell in 5e I am looking at Mending right now in the 5th Edition Compendium, it makes zero mention of Concentration. I have no idea how extensive this problem actually is throughout the Compendium, or if it's in any of the Expansion Compendiums, as I have not been able to afford anything from this site yet. anyone coming across this Post, I would encourage you to go looking up your known Spells which have a Duration on their Casting Times longer than 1 Action, 1 Bonus Action, or 1 Reaction, and check if they have any mention of Concentration in their correlating Compendium Entries, I would like to know which spells to watch out for, so if you'd please point them out here, that would be greatly appreciated. whilst I have your attention, I would also like to suggest, to the amazing team working on this complex and comprehensive compendium, to include: the Fields which aren't used by a Spell Primarily Ritual & Concentration fields as a boolean Yes/No these would be mentioned on the Compendium entry, but would be lacking the Tag to prevent Parsing Errors for Drag & Drop the Math for the Cantrip Spells this would allow GMs to copy & paste it into their games without going over each individual Cantrip you can note that they would need to likely alter the Levels section this would also garner a massive influx of traffic to your site, as lots of players and GMs would love such a feature The current known 5e Compendium Entries with errors includes: Cantrips: Mending Lv 1 Lv 2 Find Steed Lv 3 Lv 4 Lv 5 Lv 6 Lv 7 Lv 8 Lv 9
Blue64 said: I have been playing for about 2 Months now, and I have noticed that the Mending Cantrip requires 1 Minute to Cast, yet is not marked as requiring Concentration, yet, the PHB says on around Page 202 The reason that spells with longer casting times than an action show that they do not require concentration is because concentration is specific to magic already in effect. PHB 203 Some spells require you to maintain concentration in order to keep their magic active. Further on it states how spells are designated to require concentration. If a spell must be maintained with concentration, that fact appears in its Duration entry, and the spell specifies how long you can concentrate on it. So the reason that these spells don't state that they require concentration is because the book doesn't state that the spell requires concentration. This is typically because the effect of the spell is instantaneous, such is the case with the Mending spell.
The effect of the spell is instantaneous, but the Casting requires Concentration, and the Books explicitly stated that you can only maintain Concentration on a single Spell at a Time, meaning that casting Mending would cancel Mage Armor
The Concentration designation is for spells that require concentration during their duration. The rule about concentrating during casting times longer than 1 action is a general rule. The spells list their casting time, so there is no need to make an additional call out about that for those spells.

Edited 1524852387
I was entirely unawares of that General Rule until Yesterday, as I would assume many others are unaware as well. I don't even own a PHB myself, I only even found out that the contradictory statement existed when studying a mention of a Bonus Action and Cantrip being the maximum amount of Spells per Turn, which doesn't even mention what the rules are on Reaction Spells, such as with a Ready Action, would I still be able to do a Bonus Action Spell and a Cantrip? It doesn't say anything about that. my point is, instant effect or not, it's still a Concentration Spell because you are required to Concentrate on the Casting, thus causing other Spells to lose their Concentration short of Magical intervention, such as an Ioun Stone.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's not contradictory, you just didn't read each rellevant rule together to for a complete picture of this aspect of spellcasting. And did it occure to you to look/ask what the spell says in the free basic rules or the acual Player handbook? If you would have checked them, you would have noticed that you had an incorrect conclusion regarding the matter as spells with longer casting time do not have "concentration" mentioned, like the spell "Dream" on page 89 of the free basic rules. Well, I guess this turned from a compendium discussion to dnd 5e rules discussion then.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Roll20 compendium is as per the OGL, should that ever be updated then you can be sure that the compendium will be also. I'd recommend taking any further RAW/RAI discussions to Sage Advice or other appropriate forums: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext