Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Rules Light System?

I've been playing a few different game systems now, Pathfinder mostly. Lately I found PF rules to be getting quite cluttered and complex. So instead of modifying it for a new game I'm considering, I'm looking for a system that's relatively light on the rules department, using a big portion of common sense or Rule of Cool instead of micromanaging everything with fifteen thousand tables and focuses more on the Roleplaying aspect of RPGs vs Rollplaying. Yes, that can be done with every gamesystem, but some make it easier than others. (But that's not something I wanna discuss here) If it can easily be used for a Space or "Space-Fantasy" setting that be even better.
This topic came up recently, you might have a look at the d6 line from West End Games. They're free downloads at RPGnow.com They have d6 Space, d6 Fantasy and a couple supplements that are all free downloads.
I'll take a look at that, thank you.
Savage Worlds may also be up your alley. Rules are pretty easy to learn and it does a great deal of helping to reduce work as a GM and also staying out of the way of the game. Core book is only $10 which would be enough to build a scifi for fantasy game from but they also have a fantasy companion and just released the sci-fi companion as well as several pre built settings that you might find interesting.

Edited 1391700930
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Believe it or not - GURPS can be simple as well. (Edit: I didn't realize you could keep GURPS simple until it was pointed out to me. I did have to do a bit of work deciding which rules I was keeping and which not. I also made a custom Advantages/Talents list which paired it down to those that would be suitable for a fantasy setting. This took a few days work.) You just use which rules and tables you want and disregard the rest. I too find PF getting overly complex and BLOATED. I am getting so fed up with it that I'm contemplating going back to AD&D 2.0. You know - the good ole days.
If you want a game that is similar to Pathfinder but more rules light look into some of the OSR games. For example, Basic Fantasy RPG is a good game that is much more rules-light than Pathfinder. If you want armored fighters, Vancian magic, clerics as warrior healers, and sneaky thieves without all of the rules bloat of later editions, I really recommend finding a good OSR game. I tend to prefer the ones that are based on OD&D rather than AD&D because AD&D is still a little bloated for my tastes. The one I recommended has the rules-light feel of OD&D with a lot of the things I like about 3E/Pathfinder (namely ascending AC, and race and class separation). There are also many other great OSR games that are similar to D&D but change the flavor of the standard fantasy. Mazes and Minotaurs is a particularly good one if you want to try out fantasy ancient Greece rather than the standard medieval fantasy. I'm going to second D6 as another great choice. D6 is now an open system so also look into some of the developments done by other publishers in addition to the standard WEG productions.

Edited 1391705106
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I will second Tree Ant on BFRPG and d6 both good systems that dont take something from your wallet.
I took a quick look at D6 so far, seems to be pretty compact, about 100 pages of rules (and not all of it really rules), yeah that could be something there. Have to read it more closely. "D6 Space" is a full game from the looks of it, I don't need "D6 Adventure" or "D6 The Big Fat 600 Page Core Rulebook" (which I haven't found ;) ) for it, do I? It doesn't have to be like Pathfinder. I've played White Wolf games too and Shadowrun and a few others too, but doesn't have to be like them either. The setting I'm aiming for in the next game is Sci-Fi, so something that helps me do that without modifying too many of the rules is what I'm looking for mostly
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If I remember correctly, each d6 book covers what you need to play in that setting but I could be wrong. You can find open d6 (it is free) with a google search if you actually need the core rules but look through the d6 space first. The cool thing is that open d6 , mini d6, and other d6 systems are compatible with the older star wars books so you could pull stuff from them with little to no problem.
Quatar said: The setting I'm aiming for in the next game is Sci-Fi, so something that helps me do that without modifying too many of the rules is what I'm looking for mostly I just found this listed at RPGNow: <a href="http://www.rpgnow.com/product/50526/Metamorphosis-" rel="nofollow">http://www.rpgnow.com/product/50526/Metamorphosis-</a>... It's not quite free but if you want rules-light sci-fi, it might work for you.
Quatar said: I'm looking for a system that's relatively light on the rules department, using a big portion of common sense or Rule of Cool instead of micromanaging everything with fifteen thousand tables and focuses more on the Roleplaying aspect of RPGs vs Rollplaying. I can think of no game that better internalizes the "Rule of Cool" and a lack of micromanagement than Risus . It's a d6-based, freewheeling light system that puts the characters front and center. There aren't any rules you'd have to change to allow a sci fi game, but there isn't any explicit support for it either. Risus itself is free and weighs in at a trim 4 pages these days, but the ten dollar Risus Companion - which you don't need to play, honest! - is worth every penny. It's the best general purpose GM guide and advice book there is and also explains the tao of Risus in a way that takes it from amazing to transcendentally great. That being said, it is hard to beat the venerable D6 suite of systems and it's really the poster child for space fantasy. What rules there are don't get in the way and rolling handfuls of dice is always fun. I'd go with MiniSix over D6 Space, personally, because its cleaner and presented better and gives you more room to tack on what you want into the game. Tracking down a print copy of any of the versions of the West End Games Star Wars core books would be my second choice; from experience, it's pretty easy to strip out the Star Wars and put what ever you want.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I'm surprised no one has suggested Fate Accelerated Edition. Have a look on rpgdrivethru or search around for Evil Hat. I am amazed at how such a rules light game can be so effective. Hope that help
So I'll agree with the D6 system, and Savage World system, but I'd like to throw out the suggestion of MURPG (Marvel Universe RolePlaying Game), a literal point based system, you put stones into an effort and if it beats the TN resistance you succeed, it's a superhero themed game, but it shouldn't be too hard to mod for SciFi
WEG d6 for the old SW game is cool for retro. If you're after modern I'd highly recommend EABA 2 . Review v2.0 Review v2.01