Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ability Command trouble

Edited 1524954889
**EDIT**-I am not referencing the "Macros" character sheet.  What is the syntax for that? Why would this not be working??  It will make a nice pretty menu, but when I click on any of the pink text it just says it cannot read property 'substring' of undefined.  Each of these abilities is defined on a character sheet called Macros, which when I use the very same menu from my DM list of utilities, it works fine. /w gm &{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Game Utilities}}{{text_big=**Dice Roller** [Roller](~Diceroller) **Carrying Tokens** [Carry](!CARRY_TOKENS_MENU) **Status** [Set Condition](~SetCondition) }}

Edited 1524955912
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Assuming that these are all abilities on a character that you are referencing, it would be: [Label](~Char Name|Ability_Name).
Thanks, that fixed it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To make your first method work, both the Ability you created and the Ability that references it need to be built on the same sheet. Otherwise, yes, you need to tell Roll20 which sheet has the macro.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: To make your first method work, both the Ability you created and the Ability that references it need to be built on the same sheet. Otherwise, yes, you need to tell Roll20 which sheet has the macro. abilities always have to have a character specified, regardless of whether it's on the same character or not.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scott C. said: keithcurtis said: To make your first method work, both the Ability you created and the Ability that references it need to be built on the same sheet. Otherwise, yes, you need to tell Roll20 which sheet has the macro. abilities always have to have a character specified, regardless of whether it's on the same character or not. That's not true at all. If the Attribute is on the same character sheet as the Ability, you dont need to specify a character.

Edited 1524962097
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
G G said: Scott C. said: keithcurtis said: To make your first method work, both the Ability you created and the Ability that references it need to be built on the same sheet. Otherwise, yes, you need to tell Roll20 which sheet has the macro. abilities always have to have a character specified, regardless of whether it's on the same character or not. That's not true at all. If the Attribute is on the same character sheet as the Ability, you dont need to specify a character. True, but I wasn't talking about attributes, I was talking about calling abilities , which must always have a character specified for them to be called from (whether used in normal ability calls like %{char name|ability_name} or ability command buttons like [Label](~char name|ability_name) ).
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Oops, I stand corrected.
I actually have a lot of abilities that are set up in a Macro that DON'T have the character sheet specified, and they work perfectly. That is why this one was giving me trouble.  Because it is set up as a different Macro that doesn't come from the MACROS character sheet.  I guess because the other one comes from the same sheet, it doesn't need the specifier.  Since this one was built outside that sheet, it DOES require the specifier.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Omegaman said: I actually have a lot of abilities that are set up in a Macro that DON'T have the character sheet specified, and they work perfectly. That is why this one was giving me trouble.  Because it is set up as a different Macro that doesn't come from the MACROS character sheet.  I guess because the other one comes from the same sheet, it doesn't need the specifier.  Since this one was built outside that sheet, it DOES require the specifier. Hmm, I wouldn't get used to relying on that behavior. But interesting to know nonetheless.