Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Keith Curtis Invisibility questions

Okay, so Keith gave me !bump push-slave or whatever so that I can make people invisible and bring them back again.  What I need to know, is there a way to do this so that I can make a PC invisible but his player can still see where he is, just no one else?  Is there something I could add to my macro that would perhaps assign a tint to that token which is vieweable only by the player that controls that token?  Then the token could be invisible on the GM layer from Bump and yet the player could see and move his token by the aura. Or perhaps some other solution that is even better than that?  What are you guys using?  How are you doing it?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Bump explicitly sets the invisible token to only be seen by the GM, but since it is tied to the character, players that can control that character can control that invisible token, they just can't see it.  You should be able to make it visible to them with this: !token-mod --on playersedit_aura1 on the invisible token.  They should then see a green square for the bumped token.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Aaron (the true Founder of the Feast) has the solution. Bump is a great script. Weird seeing my name in the topic list..
I assume token-mod could give sight to the invisible token within the same macro?  When I've use !bump in live games I always forget that I'm blinding that player when I do it.  I didn't even realize they couldn't still see their own token, although that makes sense.  It's just been the "wait, now I have a black screen" complaint so far.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
hmm. interesting point.  It might make sense to create a version of bump explicitly for turning tokens "invisible".  I created a Blatant Dismissal script a while back that would actually be a good base for this as it already handles making the "invisible but visible to controlling player" token.
Yeah I don't think using it to turn PCs invisible was the primary point of the script, since in a normal game it wouldn't matter if the other players could see an invisible PC.  Running battle royale/arena games, though, it becomes necessary to hide the token from the other players.
Keith, these other geniuses may be creating the base content which makes our games so cool, but you are the one making it easy to use by us peons who know nothing about setting it all up.  My Macro character is getting better and better all the time.  (Actually, still have a bunch of stuff on him that I don't know how to use yet, but the ones that I have figured out are totally awesome).  I have no idea where the macros come from that I use, I just know that I got them from you so you get all the credit for that.  I think it would be awesome to be able to purchase in the marketplace a Macro character with instruction for, "if you want to have this functionality, add these lines of text to your Macro here, if you want this, add these lines there, etc).  You set it up with many different options and the correct macros to have all those menus populate and then you sell the thing on the marketplace for $4.99 or whatever.  I bet lots of people would buy that.  Sell a thousand of those and that would pay for the building time.   lol, of course, then you'd probably be inundated with customer requests for MORE specialization that they expect just because they purchased it.  You can't win with gamers sometimes. I just know I really appreciate the help I've received. I add to mine by trial and error, with lots more error than anything because the syntax is totally unforgiving.  If it's not EXACT, my macros just yell ugly things at me. I will say, for those who create those awesome scripts, the ones I like the best are the ones with the chat menu configurations.  Those are so much easier to figure out how to set up than typing my way through the guantlet of proper syntax.  I don't know how difficult it is to do it with the chat menus but it's actually fun to use it that way.  It makes me feel like I am the one who knows what I'm doing, just cause I can click on whichever options I want. @TheAaron- So I am going to add your bit of tokenmod text to my macro for invisibility and see if that does what I want.  If not, well, you'll see me groveling around here for more info soon....... :-)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No worries. =D
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Omegaman, but I couldn't do any of this stuff were I not "standing upon the shoulders of giants", who have donated countless hours of amazing work to give us all these capabilities. I release any things I make from their tools in the same spirit. Glad to hear your Macro character sheet is coming along. That's probably the hint I give out most.
Gold
Forum Champion
Omegaman said: Keith, these other geniuses may be creating the base content which makes our games so cool, but you are the one making it easy to use by us peons who know nothing about setting it all up.  My Macro character is getting better and better all the time. Good point. I also greatly appreciate Keith's ways of making features & methods on Roll20 more accessible, understandable, and visually screenshotted. I learn new ways from Community members of the forum, every week.