Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Interesting trend I'm noticing.

When I look for a game mainly 5e I noticed a lot of the games only allow humans,elves, and dwarves and nothing else. Any ideas why or how this started?

Edited 1525191878
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Could it be confirmation bias? (i.e. you noticed it on a couple of random games, and now it sticks out?) I just checked out the first 20 hits on a 5e game and didn't find any restrictions like that.

Edited 1525193074
It seems to come in waves, I don't check everyday more like once or twice a week. And you only looked at the first 20 without even looking at the lfg forum either...also didn't say it was all games but there is a quite lot.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Probably the GM is wanting to create a world that reminds them of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.  Not so many Dragonborn and Tieflings about there. =D
I only speak for myself - but in my games, I do not allow Dragonborns, Half-orcs & Tieflings. I run a forgotton realm setting using a lot of the known lore. Usually those 3 races has a lot of issues with society. Half-orcs are on a case by case basis but they are looked down upon by society. Tiefling are even worse and dragonborns will scare most npc and are extremely rare. I will allow them if they party agrees the troublesome that they bring in a social setting & rolling "persuasion" won't help them. 

Edited 1525198649
I guess (though the forgotten realms wiki says otherwise). Just sounds more like you just don't want those races in your game imo.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some places to discuss this topic but there are other sites also: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext /r/ADND /r/Pathfinder_RPG /r/gamemasters