Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Video/Voice Chat (TokBox) Problems? Check Here!

Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Some of you are having issues with the video/voice chat ranging from lag to crashing entirely. We've been in touch with TokBox (the folks who are powering out video/voice chat) and there are a couple of things you can do to help troubleshoot and improve your experience. First off, if you having any issues, your first stop should be: <a href="http://www.tokbox.com/user-diagnostic/" rel="nofollow">http://www.tokbox.com/user-diagnostic/</a> Which will do a quick diagnostic on your machine and check for common issues (software version requirements, camera/mic compatibility, etc.) If you see anything that's not working on here, you'll want to get that fixed if possible before going any further. In addition, if you click on the TokBox logo (the little logo in the upper-left that appears when you mouse-over the video chat window) *while holding down* Control on Windows or Command (a.k.a. Open-Apple) on Mac, you should get a little popup box that asks you to report the problem you are having. That goes directly to the TokBox team and also sends them some additional diagnostic information to help them track down the issue. We'd also like you to post in this thread if possible letting us know what the problem was, and if you get it fixed or hear back from the folks at TokBox, what the solution was. Thanks! TokBox "Known Issues" (according to TokBox's website): - Camera conflict with Gmail. The camera in an OpenTok app may disconnect or stop streaming when you open or close Gmail in another browser tab. - Flash Player crashes upon publishing a video when using certain camera drivers. We are researching this issue. So please keep these in mind when troubleshooting!
I'm currently trying to run a session and all of us without exception are getting 'Disconnected' errors from TokBox. The video was working for us maybe 20 minutes ago.
Is this page showing you anything? <a href="http://www.tokbox.com/user-diagnostic/" rel="nofollow">http://www.tokbox.com/user-diagnostic/</a>
Mike
KS Backer
We're trying to get a game going right now. Video and voice were working just fine about 10 minutes ago and now all we're getting is a "! No Video" error right in the middle and no audio. Edit: The above diagnostic link shows all green check marks, no errors. Sorry that was not included before Screenshot:
Hm. I'm going to guess that TokBox must be experiencing some issues on their end. I know that's awful timing since I'm sure everyone is just sitting down to play right now, but I'll contact them to be sure.
I just hopped in a test game it *seems* to be working for me...so try reloading to re-initialize the video chat and see if it's fixed for you as well. Also if you haven't already it doesn't hurt to do the Control/Command+Click and shoot them a quick message so they can log the issue.
Mike
KS Backer
Just tried it again, got 1 frame of video, a half second of audio, then it froze with that 1 frame of video with the same error. I'll submit a ticket to Tokbox. I can give you the link to our game, if you want to try it there Riley .. since we're still kind of waiting to start. lol
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Looking at TokBox's diagnostic tool, I'm kind of surprised they don't have a traceroute running as well, so they can see if it is one of the backbones they subscribe to having problems. That tool looks like it only deals with your local hardware.
I was just reading through TokBox's list of known issues, and there were a couple that jumped out at me that I wanted to make everyone aware of: - Camera conflict with Gmail. The camera in an OpenTok app may disconnect or stop streaming when you open or close Gmail in another browser tab. - Flash Player crashes upon publishing a video when using certain camera drivers. We are researching this issue.
Something else we can try to track down the issue. Go here: <a href="http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/api" rel="nofollow">http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/api</a> Click the blue Run Code button. You'll see the familiar TokBox window pop up. Click Allow. A new box will appear with a really long link in it. Send that link out to anyone else you are trying to use Roll20 with. Have them press the "Run Code" button as well. This is just a really, really simple page that does the same thing Roll20 is trying to do as far as video chat goes, but without all of the other Roll20 stuff going on in the background. If it works fine for you and your players on that page, but not in Roll20, that will help me know that it's the way we're using TokBox, something else going on with Roll20, etc. If it doesn't work in either place, then we'll know it's definitely a TokBox issue. Thanks!
Also, if you're having issues with Chrome, Paul Croyle found this handy tip and posted it in another thread: I've just come across this and thought it might help. <a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/" rel="nofollow">http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/</a> Apparently chrome has it's own built-in version of Flash that can conflicts with any version you may have yourself. That link tells you how to check for this, and how to disable Chrome's version.
Running sample session now (2022 MDT) No one has had Vidso chat launch (GM and 1 player both set to send and receive) One using Firefox, the other IE8 with ChromeFrame
Michael, did you try this? Something else we can try to track down the issue. Go here: <a href="http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/api" rel="nofollow">http://www.tokbox.com/opentok/api</a> Click the blue Run Code button. You'll see the familiar TokBox window pop up. Click Allow. A new box will appear with a really long link in it. Send that link out to anyone else you are trying to use Roll20 with. Have them press the "Run Code" button as well. This is just a really, really simple page that does the same thing Roll20 is trying to do as far as video chat goes, but without all of the other Roll20 stuff going on in the background. If it works fine for you and your players on that page, but not in Roll20, that will help me know that it's the way we're using TokBox, something else going on with Roll20, etc. If it doesn't work in either place, then we'll know it's definitely a TokBox issue. Thanks!
Also, if you're having issues with Chrome, Paul Croyle found this handy tip and posted it in another thread: I've just come across this and thought it might help. <a href="http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/" rel="nofollow">http://www.howtogeek.com/103292/how-to-fix-shockwave-flash-crashes-in-google-chrome/</a> Apparently chrome has it's own built-in version of Flash that can conflicts with any version you may have yourself. That link tells you how to check for this, and how to disable Chrome's version. This fixed my issues with Chrome :)
Hmmm the TokBox seems to have stopped working "mic wise" for me as of the update where you added the "Image" into the Video box. Others audio comes thru but mine is constantly looping "loading". Ive tried resetting my audio, my browser settings and disabling my firewall, no luck. Anyone else experiencing this? It was working perfectly about a week and a half ago... The TokBox app states im good on everything but my camera, which i dont have. Says it found a mic and is good to go but no camera. Changed my settings in D20 for audio only...still no luck.
Things got so much more worse for me when I disabled Chrome's built in flash and used the external one. I switched it around, disabling the external and enabling the baked in, and things at least returned to previous levels of stability.
Phil
KS Backer
Had another session on Tuesday, unfortunately I've not had a chance to try any of the fault findings links. The attached image shows an issue where one player had two videos. There was also issues with one player not syncing correctly, he had a video connect, however the map and chat were not synchronised as he wasn't get the updates everyone else was.
The OpenTok Status checker green-lights me on everything, and the sample video on the tokbox site works, but all I get in Roll20 is the user avatar. It doesn't even come up with the TokBox menu or anything. Can't figure it out.
The OpenTok Status checker green-lights me on everything, and the sample video on the tokbox site works, but all I get in Roll20 is the user avatar. It doesn't even come up with the TokBox menu or anything. Can't figure it out. Just to double-check, there is someone else with you in the game, right? Are they having the same issue?
@Murgh I've been having that double-video when on R20 editing (read: tinkering, getting distracted, coming back and tinkering some more) a campaign I'm setting up. It usually happens if I change the broadcast settings. Here's the breakdown so far: If I change it from "video and voice" to "voice only" it's fine. If I then change it from "voice only" back to 'video and voice" again it seems fine. When I change it from anything to 'nothing', and then back to something else, TokBox will try and start a connection. It will open my webcam feed if I go from "nothing" to "video and voice" and it will start to load a connection for "voice only", but will just be on the blue "loading" bar continuously and as far as I'm aware won't ever load. Here's the doozy: If I keep changing from "voice only" to "nothing" and back again, I can open up more and more "voice only" windows. It does *not* do this when selecting from "Video and Voice" to "nothing" and back again. If I do this while a player is in with me (usually me signed in on partner's account on laptop) this will usually break the video chat for me. I can recreate this on latest Firefox and Chrome builds on my Win7 desktop and Win Vista laptop. Interestingly though, I only see the double image on my own screen, I never see anybody else's - so the PC will only ever show multiple images of what it's webcam is picking up, and the laptop will only show multiple images of what its webcam is picking up - the pc never sees multi-laptop webcam images and visa versa.
Phil
KS Backer
I had been setting my video between both off and both on.
I was having the stuck on load when I open up my campaign till I noticed a pattern. If I quickly went ahead and changed the settings from video and voice to voice or disable, the infinite load loop happens. However, if I let it load completely, the program load. I tested that out on my end and I had my friend test that theory and it seems to solve the infinite load problem.
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
We tried a couple of times but it does not work well enough for gaming. We will drop TokBox for the voice chat. It is totaly useless for us. We don't care much if the video is lagging, but the voice should not. We will use G+ Hangout instead.
We tried a couple of times but it does not work well enough for gaming. We will drop TokBox for the voice chat. It is totaly useless for us. We don't care much if the video is lagging, but the voice should not. We will use G+ Hangout instead. What are your geographic locations? Also, were you having issues getting it to work at all, or you were able to get it to work and it was just too delayed/laggy?
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It was because of the lag. We are all located in Germany. It should not be a bandwith problem, because we can run video chat over TokBox and over Hangout the same time.
I did some fairly non-scientific tests, where my friend and myself were connected to the tokbox chat, and had mumble running at the same time. What we found was that with the tokbox chat, video and audio wouldn't sync with each other, and compared to the audio coming from mumble, there was at least a 1+ second delay on everything going through the TokBox chat. I've ran the diagnostics, and got green-lighted, and each time we play I make sure to use the feedback icon, so hopefully the can compile enough data to figure out what's going wrong.
Currently on a session, 1 player in TN and I in Wyoming. 2-3 second lag from chat to video
Ezra
KS Backer
We just had our first session too, we span the US from coast to coast, and there was definitely a significant lag, probably 2-3 seconds as well. Other than that everything was great, no disconnects or anything like that. Thanks!
Phil
KS Backer
Just finished a session, 4 players all UK, again about a 2 second lag
Did 2 separate sessions tonight, with 2 of us on one and 3 on another. All had 2 second lag, which is not a big deal to me (Skype has had a 2 second lag regularly for us as well). The big problem has been game nights, where there is 8 of us. We are trying again this Saturday- keeping our fingers crossed. There have been multiple issues, mostly just not able to get us all on. Will report back Sunday am.
Follow up to above post. Had 7 of us this evening, 5 on video. Much improved!! All were on, delay was minimal, about 2 seconds.
Follow up to above post. Had 7 of us this evening, 5 on video. Much improved!! All were on, delay was minimal, about 2 seconds. Glad to hear it!
Ran my first session tonight - was finally able to get a group together. Players were mostly local (New Hampshire) but we had one from out of state who had no issues. Everyone was able to login to the Roll20 client, but I had one player whose browser kept crashing every time she tried to enable video or audio. (My wife, in fact, who's in the same house as me, so I know it's not the connection). Based on the troubleshooting, it appears to be a problem between her computer and TokBox, but I have no idea what the problem might be. I did see above that they're having problems with some camera drivers. She has a Logitech Pro 9000, and I wonder if the drivers for it are causing the problem. I tried having her update them, but to no avail. On the bright side, we switched to a Google+ hangout and were able to play with no problems. The integration with Google+ is really very impressive. The actual play-test went exceptionally well, but I'll save that for another post.
Follow up to above post. Had 7 of us this evening, 5 on video. Much improved!! All were on, delay was minimal, about 2 seconds. Bad news to follow up on previous good. Seems there is a magic # of people, or Saturday nights is just a bad time. Had the full 9 of us on, and kept booting people off. Will try with Google Hangouts next game, as after we all turned off video & voice, and went to Skype, we were able to use it- But that defeats the purpose of Roll20 for us.
I have a headset and the mic works fine, everyone can hear me and I can heat them, but I hear them through my speakers and not my headset. Is there a way I can set incoming voice to be played through my headset?
Running on Firefox, have most up to date Flash, I can hear everyone but I cannot speak. I do not have a webcam, but why should that effect my ability to use my mic?
I just started to play around with this Roll20. I have no problem setting up the maps and placing tokens makes it a breeze. I had my son join me from my laptop (took me awhile to figure out how to get him to join as a player). Laptop has built in mic and cam. My desktop does not have a cam or mic. I used a headset so that I could have a mic. When my son talked I was able to hear him, but I had about a 5 second lag. I was able to see him on my computer, but my mic would not work and he was unable to hear me. When I run the diagnostic, it is green (1st and second) and red on third. Looking at it, it is because I do not have a cam. The talk app seems to not let me talk because of no cam and I don´t think it should work that way.
Both audio+video were working fine the other day. I have no webcam, but the audio worked. I could see my friend's video. Today, I could see and hear my friend, but my TokBox window was simply 'loading' the entire time and would not let me click to change any settings. Do you -need- a webcam just to use the service? I added a 'webcam' (WebcamMax) which loads as a regular webcam in every application I've tried so far. I noticed that today (on Firefox) it isn't asking for my permission to use my webcam/microphone. It just sits at the loading screen. A few days ago it would ask me for permission, I'd say yes...and it would ask me for permission again anytime I wanted to change mic volume or anything like that.
Looking at it, it is because I do not have a cam. The talk app seems to not let me talk because of no cam and I don´t think it should work that way. I have the same issue as you, but it isn't because I don't have a Webcam either. If it -is- the no-cam issue for you, I install WebcamMax. I used to use it when I streamed video games online, because it let me add counters/graphics/text/etc. to my video stream easily. It adds itself as a webcam and Tokbox recognizes it as such. (For me, the issue is something else. It might be something to try for you, though.) (General disclaimer that this is a 3rd party app and to install and play responsibly.)
Michael, so WebcamMax makes the PC thinks it has a webcam or is this an actual webcam driver for an actual webcam? On my desktop I currently do not have a webcam, only on my laptop. Laptop worked fine, desktop did not do anything (except it let me load the maps and control tokens and all the other things). I actually ran a few encounters with my son, but I had to "talk" to him and we were able to get everything else working fine. I really enjoy how easy Roll20 works and I really want to use it to play with my friends back state-side.
The video chat function has improved vastly from the first time I used it. The video was steady with almost no lag. The only problem that I and my players are still having is one player's voice echoing when it plays on the speakers of the other players. Are there audio settings that will solve this or is it just a situation where everyone should wear headphones? Otherwise, it's quite a hit.
I've been podcasting for about 7 years now, and the echoing is definitely because someone's microphone is picking up the voices of other players on their speakers. Headphones all around would be the best bet, alternatively the player without headphones can just try turning their speakers down, or turn down the sensitivity of their mic.
Had a game last night and found a couple of issues; • Lag. There was a 3-5 second delay between transmission and receipt of voice. • Setup. I could not select the "allow" button when attempting to give access to my camera and microphone. This may have been corrected by a restart of the campaign, but I didn't try that. • Disabled mic. Somehow between starting the campaign and having people join, somehow my microphone was disabled forcing sound through my speakers. Easily fixed, but shouldn't have happened.
Used roll20 for about 12 hours successfully yesterday, despite some minor voice lag went great! I was planning to do a catch up session for a character that was late to the game today, and tokbox wont load for anyone. Called in another player who hasn't had any issues with it in the past, and they cant get it to load today either. Is there a issue caused by their version revert earlier today or is it just a local problem on our end? User diagnostic shows green for all four of us, firewalls/adblock disabled/reset and computers and browsers restarted multiple times without resolution. I dont know their system stats but I am running FF v12, Windows 7 64-bit, Flash v11.3 edit- seems its all clear now after six hours of no luck for anyone, but its working now anyways!
So is there any progress or info on the tokbox issues? I'm checking out all clear on their diagnostic, but still no go with Roll20. Any update on this?
Just tried to use roll20 for a session tonight and Tokbox gets stuck on the loading screen. No video or audio. We both updated our version of Flash Player but had no luck. The diagnostic looks good too.
I am trying to run a game now and I am having the same problem. Diagnostic came back green (all three) and I ran the test on the other link and saw that my cam worked, but nothing on roll20
We were having issues with the audio and voice last night as well. However, it seemed to mostly resolve itself when we got everyone to use Chrome where as before 1 of use was using Chrome and the other 3 were using Firefox. Even so it was still a little wonky with one of the players still losing their audio sporadically and having to F5
So is it that it just doesn't like firefox?
Same here last night (Weds 27th). Firefox is not working with Tokbox at all (perpertual "Loading" screen, IE is throwing Java errors (I believe there was a Javascript update earlier on in the week). Only Chrome was working - and then only if you disabled Chrome's internal Flash otherwise you gey Shockwave crashes. Previously Firefox followed by IE with the Chrome frame has been the most stable, Chrome coming last (largely because of the Shockwave crash thing). Now seems to be the other way around.
So in order for this to work correctly, you have to go to roll20 from within the IE web browser?