Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advanced Dungeons And Dragons and 1st Edition Modules

Any interest for Advanced Dungeons And Dragons and 1st Edition Modules roll Roll20? As in using the Rules of the versions.

Edited 1525935506
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi. Is this a Looking For Group question? If so a Mod can move this to the LFG forum. If LFG -- I'm interested to hear more, like when the games will take place, and are we using Voice? Video? Text only?  You're offering to DM? Currently playing some AD&D 2E and we're in the middle of a classic 1st edition module (S1, I believe).
If you are thinking in terms of digitizing them for sale, you would need to get permission. This might be more difficult as TSR is long gone, many of the original rights may have transferred to Hasbro, some may have reverted to the authors or their heirs in some cases. While I cheer you on to undertake this, there could be some hurdles to go over to avoid a C&D.
Gold
Forum Champion
Good points al.&nbsp; That said, there are ways. Tales From The Yawning Portal, an official Wizards of the Coast licensed product (designed for 5e) contains 4-6 classic AD&D 1st edition adventures, revised for 5E and implemented for Roll20. This already has: White Plume Mountain,&nbsp; Tomb Of Horrors,&nbsp; Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan,&nbsp; and Against The Giants. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/5/tal" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/5/tal</a>... On a different approach, there are non-infringing homages to old-school modules. Check out a Marketplace set called Caves Of Entropy , it feels very familiar to that era of old-school gaming and is useful for playing Caves Of Chaos (classic module). This product in Roll20 is not a module, just a map pack. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/837/the-" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/837/the-</a>...
Being a fan of 1E & 2E I have found it easier just to re-make the maps from an original module, to a free on-line map developer software. Or even on anything your PC might have to generate these maps, weather out-door, In-door, underground maps Or even scanning the original maps. Then just save them into your library and enjoy. Not only will they come out better than what was originally printed, but you can kind of tweak them along the way. As you read through the module and re-draw the maps.... Have played through a few of the oldies, and still enjoy re-making the map to kind o fit around my world map. Without losing the flavor. So it has benefited my style of play......my 2c I have been rollin through H1 & H2 and remaking the maps, has been fun...looking forward to do H3 & H4
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I thought the OP was asking if there was any interest for original modules using the 1e rules. Heh, I did the maps last year for the updated Keep on the Borderlands/Caverns of Chaos for Goodman Games. I wonder if there's a market for a map-building set in 1e blueline...
I haven't seen any market place for original "pre 1990" market maps... hence...I just re-create them Which works fine for me...my re-creations...turn out much better than those maps.. And I have more fun making them....lol Would I sell them...nope...but might share...just for you peeps....:)
Gold
Forum Champion
Someone on the Forum was asking for exactly that product recently, keith (blue line, map-building set). These are some of the 1e modules that I've set-up custom for my own games: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh Danger At Dunwater The Final Enemy Lost Island Of Castinamir As a Player myself, for our group's tabletop my DM's have done implementations of: N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God S2 White Plume Mountain C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan Return to the Keep on the Borderlands UK 2 The Sentinel UK3 The Gauntlet S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth Expedition to the Barrier Peaks Ghost Tower Of Inverness Caves Of Chaos Played or DM'd through all of those on Roll20, and that's leaving-out the 2E modules, Dragon magazine, Dungeon magazine, Kickstarter adventure, some 5e and 3.5e mods, and a bunch of homebrew adventures.