Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 in the Classroom

Hello all, I was hoping to create a final project for students that reviewed what we had been discussing so far this year.  My plan was to have a map of the Atlantic as well and the surrounding continents and then assign a country to a group of students.  These students would have "army" and "navy" tokens that would be used to explore the "New World" and attack other groups' nations that are competing against them. Overall, I wanted to allow sight for each group's tokens but also completely restrict all movement so that students would not be able to move their tokens around the map and gain an unfair advantage over other groups.  My plan is to have students tell me where they want to navigate and then move their token for them, but still have the token give their group and ONLY their group vision for what that token is able to see. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I can think of some ways to do that, but it's going to require at least Dynamic Lighting (Plus or Pro subscription) to do it, and probably some API scripts (Pro subscriber perk) to do it well. The problem you'll run into with a Free account is that your only option for restricting visibility will be Fog of War, which is an all-or-nothing option for players--anything revealed will be visible to all players. With just Dynamic Lighting, you could give tokens vision but no light on their own, then drop in lights to reveal areas as needed.  You might need to box regions in DL lines to prevent seeing "distant fires". With the API, you could lock tokens in a location (mostly), or further automate the above in various ways.

Edited 1526490069
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
For the API option, I've got an old script that would actually work pretty well for this. You'd maintain control of the tokens, but have an invisible vision token that would follow the token around. Let me know if you want to go that route. This project reminds me of something similar we did in middle school using a map on a tack board.
I knew an upgrade would be in order, but was unsure if this sort of exercise would be possible with plus/pro. Aaron: Thanks - that's good to know about the "distant fires" danger.  I did notice that the base Fog of War did not allow for lighting options beyond revealing or concealing given areas to everyone. Scott: I would definitely be interested in the invisible token route.  Further questions: 1) Would the vision tokens be programmable to only display for a specific character or would it illuminate the area for every character? 2) Would I be able to copy the settings of a "standard" token/invisible vision token pair or would the invisible vision token need to be programmed individually for each token that is generated? I really appreciate the assistance and quick response time!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The light would need to be visible to all players if it is on a separate token.  I tested with having the light source token on the Dynamic Lighting layer and controlled by the player, but it doesn't provide light for their token with only vision on the Objects layer.  Something massively more complex but technically possible would be to have a copy of the map for every player, and split them all across those maps, then have one master map you are on.  Then have an API script that keeps tokens synchronized across all the maps, but with vision for only the player on the individual maps.  I have a script that can do that for 2 maps (Twins), but not one for N maps, though such a thing is possible. Scott's script probably has a way to toggle that behavior on for a particular token, so you'd just select each token you want to have the light separate and run it.  Or something along those lines.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, sharevision is what I'm thinking of. Augustus, once you're upgraded, or even before, pm me and we can discuss the best way to do this
hello
Sounds great!  Thank you Aaron and Scott both for your quick and helpful replies. Hi, Bobie.