Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Where to begin?

Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hello! I've played a few times different games, but certainly not as often as i'd like. I've given D&D a try, Warhammer 40k and recently i started playing Dark Ages: Vampire with a few friends. Thing is, i don't really have a lot of experience; only in this last game started reading enough to be able to play "decently". In any case, i was wondering where would be a good place to begin; which games are good to start with that are not complicated to learn or too time-consuming. Preferably with a good share of combat but without taking dialogue off the picture. I'd like to thank you in advance for the suggestions and comments. Nick.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There are a variety of systems that are considered rule lite or not overly complicated. They range anywhere from the old school systems such as Basic D&D to the modern systems such as FATE. What genre do you enjoy the most? That answer will help people suggest systems. The good share of combat without loosing dialogue is more of a play style of a group than a game system. From you post, it sounds like you would enjoy reading various posts made by Headhunter Jones. He will pop in sooner or later and post links about what he considers is the proper way to play. Those link are a decent read. Good luck.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
Hi Metroknight, Thank you for the quick response! I've checked out Fate and FAE and while they seem interesting and easy enough i'm not so sure they'd fit me (Even though they look pretty "malleable"), but i can always give it a go and see how it works out; i'll definitely bring it up in my group to hear their opinions on the system as well. I've searched a little and read a few posts of him, and they were quite interesting as you said. So far i finished one about role playing in general, and other about GMs and their stories and how they should about prepping whole plots, but i'll certainly keep reading since it's interesting and pretty good to pass time. To answer your question, or at least i hope i somewhat do, i'd probably go with a Middle ages / Supernatural genre if that can be considered one. I mentioned before we were currently playing with the Dark Ages: Vampire rulebook (World of Darkness) and i'd have to add that i find it quite enjoyable at the moment, for reference. Thank you once again for the help! Nick.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You're welcomed. I'm sure there are people around here that can help you with a system that will come close or fit your needs. I don't know any off the top of my head. Good luck.
Savage Worlds might fit your needs for a fairly easy ruleset, and the settings for Rippers, Soloman Kane, or Weird Wars: Rome might fit your setting preference if you want a preassembled setting or you could get the fantasy and horror companions to help make your own.