Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Look and Feel question. Better to have one button with a trinary state, or two binary buttons?

Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This is a question about aesthetics. Which, in your opinion, looks better and is easiest to use.  I have some repeating sections with lots of fields. I always display the top line of fields, and it ends with a control that toggles the display of the fields under it.  So depending upon the state of the control,it ether displays one line, or about 6 of detailed information.  When all the other lines were hidden, the control looked like  Details: [show]          (and this was the end of the section - next repeating section was next.) When they were all displayed, the control looked like Details: [hide]            (and all the repeating sections other fields were displayed below.) I recently updated it to have three possible values.  [Show All], [Show Most] and [Hide All].  I updated it so that when it is showing all, the options are  Details: [Show Most]   [Hide all] If you click ether, the subsequent fields display as requested, plus the selected option disappears, and only the other two states are visible to be selected.  However I am not certain that I like it. It takes up more space, and ... I don't know, I am not certain that I like it. The thing that I am considering is only displaying one option, which means you would have to cycle through the three states. So for example if you in in state [Hide all], the only option visible would be Display: [show most]. If you click show most, then the visible option would be [Show all].  If you were at [show most] and wanted to go to [Hide all] you would need to click the control twice to cycle past show all to get back to hideing all.  The pros would be that it would take less space and might look cleaner. Cons would be that it is more confusing. Any thoughts?

Edited 1528337629
How about a select dropdown with the same name? Though I am not certain what you are using to control the display... a checkbox?

Edited 1528338110
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I know on the PF community sheet we started with just a single hide or show, but that had to change the more we added to the sheet.  We've adopted to adding sub-sections (at least on our repeating sections).  Some areas have 4+ sub-sections that you can expand. This has caused some issues since basic users don't really know where to find some of the attributes they want access to, but it also allows for the end-user to decide for themselves what they want to see. .

Edited 1528340745
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I am using something that works like a checkbox, but looks better, more like a button. You just click the word.  [hide all] displays only the name, the value and the button that rolls it. [Show all] shows everything, including little used values that are really used only in initial configuration. [show most] shows everything that is needed for everyday use. But Like I said, I am not certain I like having two words that can be clicked, and am thinking it might be better to have one word that can be clicked, so if you want the option that is two clicks away, you need to click it twice.  Sounds like PF is using multiple words that can be clicked, but that sheet seems to have many, many more options than I do.  A dropdown I think is more work than clicking a single entry twice. It is clearer, but more work. I want something small, clean, clear, and simple. Or at least as much of those mutualy exclusive things as I can get. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think the two button approach is better, if you can use intuitive icons in place of the buttons. If you are using the words, probably a single phrase with a triple state like you are considering is best. You can have it cycle in the order: hide all (default) --> Show most -> Show All --> Hide All, and it's a pretty intuitive operation.
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I like one button, but the label for the initial state to hint to the user they should click on it is an issue. A 3 way toggle is probably not intuitive. which is why a dropdown would be better for that.  oh one idea for an icon is a pie chart.  open circle is "show all" solid circle is "hide all" circle with some filled in is "show most"  ◑ ◑