Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice Shifting Success

I know you can calculate number of successes with something like /r 4d6>5. I'm curious if there is a way that you could do shifting successes, so for example if you roll 4d6>5 and you want to say that once you get one 5 that counts as a success but after that first 5 all other success are only counted for 6s? So what I am trying to do is /r 4d6>(1)5>6. If I get a 2, 5, 5, 6 the first 5 would count as a success but then only the 6 would count as a success. So I would only have 2 successes rather than 3.
in your example above, what would happen if you rolled a 2, 6, 5, 5?  Would you get only 1 success?
No it would still be two because 6 is always a success but it only lats you use 1 5 as a success and as soon as it uses that one 5 other 5 don't count. Of course the number in the bracket should be able to be changed so you can say how many of the lower numbers is a success.
That is what I thought, but that is also more difficult for a computer to process.
More difficult to process maybe but not to the limitation if not being possible. Would simply have to wait until all rolls were complete before checking values for success.
So computationally its trivial. The harder part with all of these requests is balancing complexity of the dice syntax. There is a big update to the dice syntax coming soon and Dakcenturi, we'd love if you jump on the dev server and try it out. If you go read the new dice thread in the Mentor 's forum you'll see a link to the help docs for the new syntax.
Interesting read, I still don't see a way to check for shifting successes though :(
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Shifting Success checks are not in the upcoming update but will be considered after this upcoming update is released.
From a programming stand point you create an array, store all results in the array, then sort the array, and use a loop to sort thru the results, adding a 1 to the success counter as needed, and incrementing the success goal as needed.
Like I said, the backend side is trivial. What we need to be careful with is the complexity of the dice rolling syntax. Trust us that we are listening to these requests and working to find good, generic ways of adding features to the dice roller :)