Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5th ed OGL char sheet (general Question) Using spells without expending spell slots but also scale with the spell slot that was originally used??? (Tips and tricks please)

Hey Peeps!  Just wondering if there is a trick that you all do for doing spells in the attacks and spellcasting box on the front page sheet,  that wont expend spell slots but also scaling the spell used at a higher spell slot?   do you manually input and make up the spells description and attacks and damage into the box? whats your version?  for example on my end... if i'm casting Witch Bolt,  it automatically sends out the d20 to hit the creature and then 1d12 to damage... its a concentration spell so its on going.  which is cool. but then i'm hitting "witch bolt" spell again and again and its getting rid of the spell slots on the spell page each time i do that.   So for me to get around that i create a ((Witch Bolt)) spell in the attacks and spell casting section for the player. so that when they wanna concentrate on the spell, they can hit that made up Witch bolt spell with out expending a spell slot each time.   HOWEVER... what happens when i wanna scale that spell up to say level 5?  Sure you can hit level 5 on the spell page pertaining to Witch bolt, but now you dont have a witch bolt on the main page to scale up.  So i'm just looking for Tips and tricks here... something more streamline that works. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Is this from an API or some new function of a sheet created with the Charactermancer? I would try creating another copy of Witch Bolt on the spell sheet, rename it "Witch Bolt (Concentration)", and mark it as Innate Spellcasting: At Will to see if something in the Innate Spellcasting field causes it to not decrement the spells.
OMFG!! THIS IS THE ANSWER I NEEDED!!!!! (hugs brian) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! D: D: you are a God send! 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
xTimmyx said: OMFG!! THIS IS THE ANSWER I NEEDED!!!!! (hugs brian) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! D: D: you are a God send!  Glad I could help. Just as a point of information, unless you have a house rule, the ongoing damage on witch bolt  is 1d12 regardless of the level it was cast at.