Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Magic damage

Hi  I was hoping someone can help me. I am a noob to d&d and I have a question that is really bugging me and I can't find a clear answer anywhere.  As an example if a druid has a quarterstaff and casts shillelagh, I believe the quarterstaffs damage then becomes magical.  I can't get my head around what this means. I get that if a weapon has some kind of enchantment it can cause damage effects such as poison or radiant. What effect does magic damage cause? A bunch of flowers pop out of the attacked creatures ears?  Thanks in advance

Edited 1530354219
I'm guessing you understand the change in roll requirements. Making the weapon magical means it can do full damage to creatures who may have resistance to non-magical attacks. It also means creatures resistant to magical items may have less damage dealt. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks Martin That does make sense. I still don't like the vagueness of what magic damage is, ie no definition of an effect, but not to worry Thanks again

Edited 1530355528
Have a look through the Monster Manual. You will see some creatures have a pretty generic statement like 'Resistance to attacks made by non-magical weapons' or somesuch. This is where the generic magical weapon attack kicks in.
Cheers Martin As a bit of fun I may get my druid to ask the creature being attacked, to pick a card before I hit it with my quarterstaff. Once dispatched, the selected card will magically appear stuck to the creatures forehead Thanks again
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 Code of Conduct says: The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program and Roll20 systems. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website  should  be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic :) /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext