Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Board games?

So, not only am I a tabletop rpg geek, but I'm also a board game geek. I look at roll20 and I think that it'd lend itself well to making board games. I don't want to infringe on anyone's copyright, so no ripping things off, but I am curious....anyone else set up any board games besides the rpgs?
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am currently using Roll20 for Star Fleet Battles (a wargame) and I plan on using it for Battletech (another wargame). I have been told by others in the past that they have played games such as backgammon and chess on roll20.  At some point I would like to play Shogi on Roll20 but just as in f2f I do not hold high hopes of that (not many Shogi players). - Gauss
I know people have played a certain game that involves settling an island and that was early on. I'd imagine it would be even easier now. You hit on a big goal of Roll20, while many of us are RPG folks Roll20 should really act as a good virtual table. A tool that provides you the means of playing any tabletop game RPG or board..
I've actually played that settling game and a couple others on a German gaming site (with English support)...rules all built in, though power(something) kept freezing occasionally. No sense in reinventing the wheel there...plus copyright. Head is swimming with all the different possibilities...player generated card map games...even going the other route and incorporating tower defense rules or other board games into D&D. Build a minigame into D&D campaign, like FF# franchise did with many of the games. I was thinking, some of the elements to make board games would cross over well to rpg. A battleship style feature, where opponents can't see each other's boards could be useful to the gm as well (being able to set who sees what screen).
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
My group plays Arkham Horror from Fantasy Flight, Pillars of the Earth from Mayfair Games, and Leviathans from Catalyst Games.  Every thing  works great. The deck mechanic makes really does a good job making games like this possible.  I am right now trying to figure out how to get Small World by Days of Wonder games.  It has some really strange shaped pieces though that might be troublesome. I also want to try Betrayal at House on the Hill. As long as you have a copy of the game, and do not distribute any artwork that is not yours, I think you will be OK.  It does take a lot of your storage space.  The art for Arkham Horror alone used 165 megs of my storage allotment. When modules become available, it may be possible to set one of these up through the marketplace with the permission of the publisher.  I could even imagine some of the publishers setting this up themselves and publishing to the marketplace. Gauss, I would love to do some Battletech as well.  Do you happen to have a source of some top down Mech art?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Keith, I dont have any top down images but I have yet to assemble my resources for Battletech as I have been working on Star Fleet Battles. Eventually I will do so but I am kinda busy lately so it may take some time. I was thinking of scanning in my cardboard cutouts and using those for my personal games. *puts on Moderator hat*  Regarding modules, they are already an available system. Our first one is out and I am currently making a second one. While our implementation of modules is still early (and rough) I would talk to Nolan if you want him to try to talk to a publisher about a module.  - Gauss
I've experimented with trying to adapt SmallWorld, Castle Panic, and Last Night on Earth. The possibilities are endless!