Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Grouping Player Tokens with Water Vessel...

Actually, I'm not sure what the topic should say, but here's what I'm trying to do: I'm about to start a campaign where there's going to be some water travel. Can I somehow 'pin' the player's token to the vessel, and have them move when the vessel moves? Can that even be done? If so, how? Right now I'm looking at a rowboat/canoe token on which I would like to 'pin' 2 players' tokens. Then I could assign control of the canoe to one of the players. That way, when they move the canoe, the player tokens also move. If it can't be done, I guess I could assign control of the canoe to one player and then move the tokens to their location when something interesting happens, or when I need the characters to do something. Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Natively you can select a bunch of tokens and right click>advanced>group them. There can be some  issues with more complex movement but simply moving around the page should be fine. Beyond that there are API scripts which as a Pro subscriber you have access to. Here is a more recent one, although 'carrying' multiple tokens may cause them to stack?
Thanks for the feedback, Ziechael. I'll have to take a look at the script though I have zero experience working with the API. :-/
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Insanity Rocks. Have you considered making this map / Page set up to where the BOAT stays stationary in the center of the map, but the underlying "waves of water" move past the boat & any encounters (other ships, islands, sea creatures) are moved up to their relative position next to the boat? I've run boats and ship scenes both ways.  With a canoe, we used the Group method of Roll20 and attached the Tokens to the Canoe, Jonboat, Raft, etc.  (It works ok, they tend to get out of alignment after a few moves, and other drawbacks.)  With the larger Ship / Galley I did the method where the boat stays in the middle of the scene and the water/encounters move around relative-position to the boat.  This lets the Tokens (Players) stay ungrouped and moving individually around the deck of the ship, crossing to port side, or starboard side. Here is a screenshot from one of my old games that actually had both methods employed, so that the lifeboat can move away from the cargo ship.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is very similar to a side scroller video game approach
Wow Gold! That looks and sounds really cool. At this time that is more than I need. Additionally, the first adventure takes place in a swamp and I already have some maps selected; they have no straight water paths. :-) BUT, if I were to run a truer naval adventure I'll be sure to reach out and inquire about your setup. Thanks for sharing.