Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Swapping sheet from shaped to ogl

Hi, The shaped sheet isn't looking to add charactermancer support so I'm planning to try swapping to ogl on an existing campaign tonight - what headaches should I expect? Will it export most things for me? Lots of statted Npc's and pcs, games been running about a year so it's added up.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The two sheets use different attribute names, and the shaped sheet uses a completely different architecture for how skills are handled. I would expect needing to manually redo most things about a character.
I expected as much but was hoping I was wrong. Well RIP free time this week lol
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pretty much what Scott said. The Shaped Sheet has some functionality to aid in going the other way, but I don't think that the OGL sheet has any import or translation features. I would not try copying, vaulting or transmogrifying characters. Too much potential for bad or useless extra data. I'd just re-build from scratch, concentrating on things you know you are going to need immediately to give them priority. Depending on how ambitious you are, you could look at the script for the D&D beyond character importer (check to make sure it's still operational in this current state of format flux). It imports characters into Roll20 from a structured JSON fille. You might be able to write a macro or script that could pull data from a shaped character and spit it out in the right format for import into OGL. I don't know, I've never really looked into it. I suspect the headaches would be so great as to make it easier to manually re-build.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I had a game that used the Shaped Sheets and we switched to the OGL. For some sheets, we experienced no problems, for others we had to re-create the sheets entirely. This was before the update to the charactermancer though, so things have changed for the OGL even more since then. I'd suggest making a copy of your game and then try switching to the OGL. You'll have to re-create some sheets, but you might save yourself a little bit of work, at least.
Yeah, my plan was copy the game and swap, then repopulate the sheets as necessary / delete and recreate any sheets that come out funky. At least that way all the maps, tokens and notes etc. will still be in place.