Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Relationship Status Thread

Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Flawless.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
This feels like us some times.
Ay me! For aught that I could ever read, Could ever hear by tale or history, The course of true love never did run smooth. But either it was different in blood, Or else misgraffèd in respect of years, Or else it stood upon the choice of friends, Or, if there were a sympathy in choice, War, death, or sickness did lay siege to it, Making it momentary as a sound, Swift as a shadow, short as any dream, Brief as the lightning in the collied night; That, in a spleen, unfolds both heaven and Earth, And ere a man hath power to say “Behold!” The jaws of darkness do devour it up. So quick bright things come to confusion. -- Shakespeare,  A Midsummer Night's Dream,  Act 1, sc. 1, l. 132ff (Of course bear in mind that's one of the young lovers, Lysander, complaining to his beau, Hermia, and by the end of the play they're married.) Successful relationships in comics are few and far between, if only because the drama of failed relationships is so tempting to writers. Even where the relationships are solid, writers (or editorial) just can't resist dicking around with them, sometimes using the excuse that the comic-reading public isn't interested in or can't relate to successful long-term relationships, let alone marriages. To which I say "Fie."
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Armiger-Jaycee (still, unfortunately, unopened and in the box):
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Otto-Proud Mary
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
With shenanigans ongoing at the  Session 33 Prep thread, it's time for some more shipping nicknames! No images today. Summer docks with the Leo-Aria ship: A/S/L (Aria/Summer/Leo, don't hate me) Kid Kelvin gets his act together and asks her out properly: Solstice (Summer/Winter) Our mysterious AEGIS spy gets a date: Summer of '37 Armiger switches preferred coffee shops: Summer Knights Trace decides to get competitive with Leo in other areas: Corvette ("Corvette Summer" starring Mark Hamill and his Corvette Stingray)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
As of our  visit to the library , we have some options for name: Darion (Daphne-Marion, more euphonious than "Maphne" or "Malin") or Butterfly (her symbol and his personality). As a note, "Palamedes" is a name that also appears in Arthurian legend, and I'm sure Armiger and Lucius would be interested in hearing holy-warrior-no-thank-you Daph's story some time.
Bill G. said: As a note, "Palamedes" is a name that also appears in Arthurian legend, and I'm sure Armiger and Lucius would be interested in hearing holy-warrior-no-thank-you Daph's story some time. Yeah, I was going to include that in the Wiki -- a Saracen knight of the Round Table -- and then got distracted. :-) There's certainly some NPC fun to be had there.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: With shenanigans ongoing at the  Session 33 Prep thread, it's time for some more shipping nicknames! No images today. Writing this list made me realize we might have a shortage of eligible bachelors. There's several interesting and independent women on screen (the Ponies, Alloy, Taz unless she's got somebody but if so I mean jesus, Daph unless her apparent crush on Marion materializes). For the guys who've gotten any speaking roles, it's basically Kid Kelvin, Stingray, and if you're counting forum cutscenes, Pietro (and he's being actively worked on by Angelica, so "eligible" is debatable). Did I miss anyone?
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mercury-A10 as of  38.3
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Summer doesn't have a relationship right now, but she might go on the hunt, especially if the long-rumored "Akumatization" plot happens, where a character's darkest impulses take hold. And what does Summer's dark side look like? Well...
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jalycia. Not a ship picture, but perfect nevertheless.
Hee! I have a cutscene of sorts in the works related to this that I've been too tied up with familial visitation to work on. Probably something for the two-week gap instead.

Edited 1526966542
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
If Pietro and Nono  bond over plasma :
Will their romance involve rock music, 80s hair, and the Brat Pack? Oh, wait ...
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Well, if Pietro forgot his lessons and acts douchey again, or if Nono loses confidence or gets too scary about her chosen topic (fire), it will be over in 110 minutes.

Edited 1530828735
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
With the relative lack of "action" lately, it looks like the Pony fanfic writers are scraping the bottom of the barrel and hunting high and low for subtext. Here's a few more crack ships for the collection. No images this time, but post one if you find something fitting. If he weren't the most dangerous man I know, and the most noble, both at the same fucking time, I'd almost be tempted -- Alycia stands there, looking at Aria. There's a clear battle of desire and fear in her gaze. #Charobots  - also includes the OT3 variants and is fiercely competitive with #Alysummer and #Charadiance Jaycee is ready. And protecting Alt!Charlotte. #LadyAndKnight  - the usual shipping goes with the younger JC and "our" Charlotte, while writing Armiger out in a variety of ways, or pairing him with Kid Kelvin aka #ColdKnight Be part of my life! This guy can't give you the fire I can! #YesYesRodriguez  - "YOU GUYS!" protests Nono, to no avail
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
We haven't seen the "thank you for rescuing me" conversation, but I'm laying claim to the hashtag now: #Malycious for Mercury-Alycia.
"You swept me off my feet."  "I can drop you."  "But you won't."  "Go faster. GO FASTER!"  Yeah, we're doomed. 
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh god, I just realized the shipping nickname for our Latinx A10 and our snack-happy speedster. #ChipsAndSalsa
If he weren't the most dangerous man I know, and the most noble, both at the same fucking time, I'd almost be tempted -- For the record, this was NOT meant to actually indicate anything serious. Alycia does NOT have any desire to get in the middle of all that. 😜 I'm not assuming you took it anything else, but, for the record.... 
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
If there's a place in this fictional universe that's serious, you're on the thread that it's farthest from.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I guess I can elaborate on this a little bit :)  I have friends who are rabid shippers in general, some who are kind of into it, and some who just enjoy hearing about the romantic shenanigans of this game's characters. I've told a couple people about Leo's story, mostly to independently gauge how much of an aversion of Pygmalion I've managed, and they gave Leo the seal of approval for honorable behavior. So far, so good. I also periodically troll one of them with stories about how Leo & Aria are breaking up or having relationship difficulties and he's like "don't do this to me" with a sad puppy-dog face. In short, if even 20% of the shipping nonsense in this thread was actually true, this game would be a maelstrom of teenage romantic melodrama. As it is, we're cooking along quietly with a couple well-established romances, some very low-key will-they-won't-theys, and a shit ton of unknowns and maybe-we're-okay-with-nothing-right-nows, and I like it like that. A little goes a long way. But all THAT said, it's still fun to run with it straight into silly territory from time to time, and that's what this thread is all about. :)

Edited 1530847902
Bill G. said: If there's a place in this fictional universe that's serious, you're on the thread that it's farthest from. Oh, I know, but the phrase stood out to me when I wrote it, so when you quoted it I felt obliged to comment.  Of course, Alycia is subject to mood changes... 
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
See, I got to thinking about the Young Justice season 2 shenanigans involving Miss Martian, Lagoon Boy, and Superboy, then the Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart on/offscreen drama from Twilight, and I realized that the real role of that ship would be as a mid-season speed bump from the writer's room. This was the result.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I am absolutely not going to do an entire series of behind-the-scenes comics involving the cast. I'm going to do a series of behind-the-scenes comics.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Last one for the moment. Anything further goes into Comics By Request. :)
In short, if even 20% of the shipping nonsense in this thread was actually true, this game would be a maelstrom of teenage romantic melodrama. As it is, we're cooking along quietly with a couple well-established romances, some very low-key will-they-won't-theys, and a shit ton of unknowns and maybe-we're-okay-with-nothing-right-nows, and I like it like that. A little goes a long way. Like (as I recall, and as I have observed) real life. But far less actual torrid romance than TV shows set in high school would have you believe (though not through lack of trying, angsting, and late nights tossing and turning).
RE: Comics *Snrk* Ha!
Bill G. said: Oh god, I just realized the shipping nickname for our Latinx A10 and our snack-happy speedster. #ChipsAndSalsa You know how the best ideas are usually obvious in hindsight? How didn't someone think of this sooner?!
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Aria-Leo-Summer-Jason-Alycia:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jalycia post-timeskip:

Edited 1532329857
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Alternate Jalycia! Edit: I'll actually explain this one because I like it. An abandoned sunken ship, but something natural and new is growing out of it. Edit 2: original image is gone, so I found a similar enough one.

Edited 1537203504
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
ChipsAndSalsa as of issue 48 :
Bill G. said: ChipsAndSalsa as of issue 48: That got a grinning shake of the head from James.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Harry's probable reaction
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I thought I'd captured Jalycia perfectly in a single image before . I was wrong.
I simply don't understand why Harry finds A10 so intimidating. What could possibly go wrong?
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
How it feels to do character shipping during heavy-action story arcs like the Alt Future.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
How Leo and Aria celebrate their anniversary.&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/gallery/vk4vRiY" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/gallery/vk4vRiY</a>
OMG, that's perfect.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
ChipsAndSalsa date night - my early predictions. A10 isn't at the house yet: Mom says something reassuring: Dad hands over a comb without a word: A10 actually shows up in a very nice dress: Time to go to the dance! Sharing notes with Jason on how their respective dates are going: "How many drinks did you sneak before coming in here?" Harry realizes Summer has been chatting with Alycia and A10 separately: Harry forgets every dance lesson he ever learned: Harry gets home without dying: Reading A10's social media and seeing what she wrote about him:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: I simply don't understand why Harry finds A10 so intimidating. There's plenty of attractive qualities too! She's got a lot of "flair" *wink* She likes to stay close and is very grounded Though she can be a handful
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Even when she's not trying to date him, when Nono gets to dance with Jason:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Darion/Maph/whatever post-dance:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Updated Otto-Mary status: <a href="https://imgur.com/PvZ4Tsh" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/PvZ4Tsh</a> I'm going to hell for this.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Summer shipping as of recent issues:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Hot Mess x anyone
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Summer x anyone, after Alycia gets involved