Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro menu trouble

Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
As a player, I have been using some query macros for pathfinder skills to cut down on the number of token actions.  For example, I have one labeled "Athletics" which then asks "Skill?" with a drop down menu allowing me to choose from Acrobatics, Escape Artist, Climb, and Swim.  This has been working alright for me, but I thought I would give a the chat macro menu trick a try. I set up individual macros named Acrobatics, EArtist, Climb, and Swim.  They all work fine individually, and they all look something like: &{template:default} {{name=Harlan attempts to swim}} {{Swim attempt = [[1d20 + @{swim}]]}} Then I set up the chat macro menu.  It brings up the menu just fine, and the menu code looks like this: /w Harlan &{template:default} {{name=Harlan Athletic Abilities}} {{[Acrobatics](~Acrobatics)[Climb](~Climb)[Escape Artist](~EArtist)[Swim](~Swim)}} So, that brings up the purple box with the 4 buttons.  All 4 base macros when used directly work.  But when I try to call one of the four macros from one of the buttons I get: TypeError: l is undefined I'm not sure what that means other than I am probably overlooking something extremely simple.  What am I missing?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Where are the four macros (and chat menu macro) built? As written, they should trigger if they were built as character abilities on the same sheet as holds the chat menu macro. If they were built as macros on the collections tab, the syntax is different. I believe you can get by with replacing the ~ with a #, but haven't tested this.

Edited 1530991053
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
They are all on the same character sheet.  I think the only global macro at this point is the DM supplied initiative macro in that game. Maybe I should add also that I am testing these directly from the buttons on the attributes and abilities tab.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Hmm, I'm not sure why, but I logged out of the game and then back in.  It works just fine now.  I guess I didn't try the standard procedure for electronic problems:  "Did you cycle the power?"
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It could also be that you had not yet saved the abilities. If they are still in edit mode, any call to them gets that last version that existed before they were edited.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
so, one thing that could be causing an issue here is that you can't have two abilities with the same name (this includes the roll buttons on the sheet). Ability names are also case insensitive so Acrobatics and acrobatics are the same. I'm not sure which pathfinder sheet you are using, but names like acrobatics, climb, swim, etc are probably used in the sheet. You also wouldn't need the custom skill macros because these abilities already exist on the sheet, so you can just invoke the sheet's acrobatics roll as an example.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
That would be more convenient to reference the in-sheet rolls.  I was using the attributes generated by the sheet in my macros, but needing to set up less macros myself would be nice.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to get that to work.  A couple games I am in are using a sheet listed on GitHub as Pathfinder_Cazra, and one of those games is where I am testing this.  I ran the individual skills and used the up arrow to see the macro in chat to be sure what the buttons were labeled.  It isn't working for me, but maybe it is how this sheet is set up?  Here is what I get from the in-sheet acrobatics roll: &{template:pf} {{charName=@{Harlan Wilkes|character_name}}} {{attr=acrobatics}} {{result=[[1d20 + @{Harlan Wilkes|acrobatics}]]}}{{isNotAttack=true}}{{notes=@{Harlan Wilkes|acrobatics_notes}}} I changed the menu button macro to have the same spelling/capitalization, but that isn't working.  It doesn't respond to "acrobatics" at all. No ability was found for %{-L1dGduNKLE3qmTb8pyi|acrobatics} I made sure I had saved the macro.  I went as far as logging out and into the game to be sure stuff was saved.  Since it was printing strange output before the acrobatics, I inserted my character name in there to be sure it wasn't looking elsewhere, but that still threw an error: No ability was found for %{Harlan Wilkes|acrobatics} Is there a totally different syntax for attempting to call a button on the sheet as opposed to a macro in the abilities/attributes tab? I don't see a wiki or support thread for that sheet to look for that info.  If there is one, being pointed in the right direction would be great. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I haven't used the cazra sheet myself, but if you hover over a roll button on the sheet (and the author set it up right) you'll get a hover tooltip that should show the ability name for that button. Alternatively, roll buttons are drag and droppable, so you can pull them down to your macro quick bar (as long as the sheet isn't popped out). The name of the button on the quick bar will default to the name of the roll button which you can use as an alternative method to get the name of the ability you need to reference.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, I don't know if the latest update broke something with the sheet or not, but dragging to the macro bar leaves me with a non-functioning button that only displays the character name.   The chat output from the acrobatics button (which works fine when clicked on the sheet) when dragged to the macro bar is: No ability was found for %{Harlan Wilkes|} Hovering over the button changes the color from black to gray, but there is no pop-up text.  Perhaps this sheet is broken in such a way that it can't be called correctly?  Well, if I decide to set up a large menu, I know I can get it to work by manually setting up all the simple macros myself.  Slowly learning stuff....
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hmm, that's what it looks like