Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

good sound effects

Edited 1392585006
I'm looking to add an array of sound effects and music to my campaign, and while I have found some, I'm wondering what are some peoples favorites that they use and what to search to find it. thanks, Deavon
I've given up a bit on sound effects. Now and then I find some suitably appropriate atmosphere music, but the lack of ability to upload my own, and the reliance on a somewhat clunky search mechanic, makes it more trouble than its worth.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I've found that searching for audio is a bit easier by doing it directly from SoundCloud than through Roll20. You can search via an audio length filter there which helps narrow down sound effects.

Edited 1393754481
I've found it's kind of hit and miss with SoundCloud. Ambient noise for caves, sailing ships and crowds are actually pretty easy. And usually it's a good idea to listen to the ones you select as a loop once to see if they aren't too painfully and obviously loopy. Then I select ambient music to play with the ambient noise. The music is tricky. You have to select something that isn't so overwhelming and yet at the same time, with appropriate relative volume, still significant enough to individualize the ambient noise you've selected. If you do this right, you get some good moods and leitmotifs. I've been able do this pretty well with catacombs and ruined temples. The tricks mainly are: Playing looped music and ambient noise together. selecting a sizable handle of appropriate ambient noises that sound good as loops Selecting clips of music that are purely instrumental and mood setting that sound good as loops And then mixing and matching until you get a good and subtle combo. Setting relative volumes of both music and noise appropriately
Assuming you are looking for tracks still there is <a href="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottmorton/ambient-soundscapes-vol-ii-for-tabletop-gaming" rel="nofollow">https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scottmorton/ambient-soundscapes-vol-ii-for-tabletop-gaming</a> . You can get the Vol 1 kickstarter tracks in this new one too, I have them and am very pleased with them for both VT and table play.
I just put one together using wind noise, a russian folk song, howling wolves, which changes to a drum loop, wind, howling wolves and 2 different chants, goes from bucolic to manacing to scary when I add in a few random thunder claps. It takes a bit to get the volumes right, and time the loops to get the effect, but well worth it.