Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

journal.roll20.net is down

journal.roll20.net is required to share handouts and character sheets via public URL, but it appears to be having DNS issues.  Please investigate.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Are you still having issues?  If so, would you be willing to share us a traceroute from your location of the world?
Still having issues.  I'm in Los Angeles and the server is unreachable from my office network, home network, and via cellphone (to eliminate local network and ISP as a cause) I'm unable to run a traceroute, since that requires actually connecting to the IP address for the subdomain, which is not available (cause of the problem) "traceroute: unknown host journal.roll20.net" "This site can’t be reached" "journal.roll20.net’s server IP address could not be found."
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Devs have been pinged, please stand by. :)
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The url journal.roll20.net doesn't point to a "real" place on the internet. The inside of the VTT we intercept all link clicks and have special handling for several different things, like journal.roll20.net. Any link that starts with this should be pointing to a character/handout within the game you're currently playing, and clicking on one of these links should just open said character/handout when clicked. So, journal.roll20.net isn't "down" because it doesn't exist. Are you mentioning this because you were having issues with something? If so, it's being caused by something else and doesn't have anything to do with "journal.roll20.net".

Edited 1531351427
Awesome, thanks for passing it along to the devs! The site can create links to character sheets via the journal.roll20.net URL structure for example (&nbsp; <a href="http://journal.roll20.net/character/-L9upJuapFlXDLnhVXed" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/character/-L9upJuapFlXDLnhVXed</a> &nbsp;) but those are not working as external links (outside of the interface).&nbsp; &nbsp;I'm having to use the journal references to documents like character sheets to get around API limitations for externally loading game data into an overlay while streaming to Twitch. In this case I obtained the url by editing my character bio on my character sheet and added my character name surrounded by brackets.&nbsp; This gets translated later into a link to the character sheet.&nbsp; &nbsp;Crazy workaround to get a simple URL, but that's how things are "working" at the moment.&nbsp; The problem is the URLs being generated don't actually work.&nbsp; We need publicly visible character sheets, has to be a way.
I just need some way to externally view/parse character information, since the API is apparently for internal use only (boo) and I'd like to do some advanced overlay features for streaming D&amp;D with Roll 20, but so far it's an uphill battle.
Been over a week.&nbsp; Any thoughts as to how this might be addressed? Thanks!
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Viewing a game's external journal is currently the only external access we provide to games, and this only includes the bio and gm notes fields. You can add your vote here,&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2645758/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2645758/</a>, &nbsp;on the Suggestions Forum if you think it's something we should support.

Edited 1532112094
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Could you grab the text of a popped out chat window and parse it to a text file that can be read by your set up? It would require some sort of refreshing, but it should be doable. Set up a macro that whispers the parts of a sheet you want to display. That part can be done and automated with javascript.

Edited 1532122768
@Phil B. I, and many users of this forum can not vote for such things.&nbsp; Votes require 1+ year on the forums or paying for subscriptions.&nbsp; This is something that I'm really opposed to, as any vote is a free/voluntary effort from a user of the product to help make it better, and making it better is of value to everyone who uses the product.&nbsp; Many of your users, like myself, have no voice because of this.&nbsp; I actually had a forum thread I made about how the forums automatically closing discussions after 2 months is bad practice, and that post was closed by a moderator who suggested I post it for voting in the (locked) "Suggestions &amp; Ideas" category, which again is something I can't do without voting points.&nbsp; That moderator has also not responded to the message I sent them about that.&nbsp; All I want is to help make Roll20 better, but closing discussions and walling off functionality to users is getting in the way.&nbsp; Not angry here, just frustrated and want to help.&nbsp; I plan on subscribing at some point, but that should not be a criteria for bug reports/voting on functionality/etc. That said, I don't know why voting for an external API is needed.&nbsp; That should have been high on the priority list since day 1.&nbsp; External APIs mean 3rd parties will develop products, services, applications, widgets, etc. around your product.&nbsp; This translates directly to more (free) value for your own product as an ecosystem is now built around it.&nbsp; It also means 3rd parties are developing new functionality/content that make your product feel fresh and relevant, even if (like now) it's not publicly showing indications of progress on its own.&nbsp; I'm sure plenty is going on behind the scenes, but none of that is transparent to regular users like myself.&nbsp; Everyone wins, and APIs are pretty easy to develop thanks to widely adopted standards and best practices.&nbsp; Again, this is all said with love and respect for the Roll20 product/team.&nbsp; If you need help from another senior developer/tech exec I'm happy to contribute what I can, even if it's just QA. @keithcurtis Good suggestion, and appreciate it!&nbsp; Sadly in my case that would not work.&nbsp; What I need is real time access to character data.&nbsp; Ideally things like max hit points and current hit points so I can do things like display health bars in the stream overlays, bloodied state (which I indicate manually with animated effects over player video) etc. Thanks again!
Ugh, I can't even post a comment on that other thread to at least voice my support without a vote, since I get this lovely gem of a message: " You can only post comments in this forum category if you are eligible to vote. "&nbsp; &nbsp;This has got to go!&nbsp; Let my people speak! hehe
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not sure about that last one. I understand the concept of wanting to incentivize commitment (more participation and more at stake = more votes), but I would have expected you to at least be able to participate in the discussion. The best recourse now would be to exhort those who can vote to support the suggestion, by explaining the benefits (you've done a good job already) and linking the thread. If you can't vote, lobby. :)
I would say there should be an expected limitation to how much a user is required to invest time-wise to contribute to a product/community.&nbsp; Having to lobby in ones free time to do what is ultimately a favor to the developers seems ridiculous.&nbsp; As a software engineer I'm used to paying to get user feedback, so getting it for free would be wonderful.&nbsp; &nbsp;Every user of the product should have a vote.&nbsp; Ever user of the product should have a voice.&nbsp; The focus should be on making things better and fostering constructive discussion.&nbsp; So from my perspective the best recourse is to address the problem head on.&nbsp; Open up voting and discussion to everyone, there's nothing to lose and everything to gain.&nbsp; &nbsp;And lets be honest, the whole "only certain people can speak/vote" concept has a bit of a dirty feeling to it, no?&nbsp; I love Roll20 and expect more from it than that.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
As the original question has been answered and this conversation has wandered off the original question, it is time to close this thread. Discussions of Suggestions are to stay in the Suggestions forum; as a Moderator I must enforce the Code of Conduct as it is written, not as people wish it were written.&nbsp; Discussions regarding the Code of Conduct should be conducted via email with the Devs at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>. I understand your frustration, but remind you that upon the day you do subscribe you'll have multiple votes and be able to be a voice for change in the Suggestion forum :)