Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dim Light Only Light source

I've been playing with the light sources in Roll20 for a while now and reading up on everything, and so far I have not been able to make a light source that only sheds Dim light. Am I missing something? 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What settings are you using? Light 60 Dim at 0 should give you 60' of dim light (though the main square may be brighter) I often use something like Light 1000 Dim at -500 to get a super dim light (such as for a moonlit night).
I'm pretty sure you can accomplish this by setting the light radius to how far you want the dim light to extend from the token then setting the "Start of Dim" to 1. I haven't tested it but you may be able to even use decimals and set "Start of Dim" to 0.1 or 0.01. I think you can do that with auras though I can't recall if it worked or not.

Edited 1531329368
MyRoll20Stuffs
API Scripter
The Aaron said: What settings are you using? Light 60 Dim at 0 should give you 60' of dim light (though the main square may be brighter) I often use something like Light 1000 Dim at -500 to get a super dim light (such as for a moonlit night). Beat me to it. Didn't realize that "Start of Dim" accepted 0 or a negative number and gave off only dim light. I had assumed that if it was set to 0 that meant it didn't dim at all and if radius was 60 for example you ended up with 60' of full light.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yup.&nbsp; There was some talk of it not working for some people, but I've never had a problem with it.&nbsp; Here's some comparisons: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3321091/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/3321091/</a> &nbsp; Also some inspirational pics and tips/tricks for DL in there.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a great thread!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Thinking of coopting some content for your Stupid Tricks thread? =D
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
If you set the dim light to -5 then even the square with the light source is dim.

Edited 1531343410
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Thinking of coopting some content for your Stupid Tricks thread? =D Not exactly, I think the thread is so full of great tricks that it should just probably be in the page links at the end of the index. It's a pity it's locked. I've added it to the top post, but individual tricks could probably be brought forward as needed.
That link Helped a lot. Thanks. I kept playing with it. Like setting light to 1 and dim to 50 and light to 50 and dim to 50, etc. but this 100/ -50 works exactly how I want it to work. Thanks
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, something to understand is that the light radius and light dim radius both start from the token. Setting it to 40/40 will be 40ft of bright light, and no dim light because the dim is set to begin at 40 which is where the light ends and the penumbra begins. The light radius sets “how far out is there light” and the dim radius sets “where does the light transition from bright to dim.&nbsp; If you want any dimness besides the penumbra, your dim radius needs to be less than your light radius. 40/20 would be half bright and half dim. 40/0 is all dim (except that initial brightness in the origin square). 40/-40 tricks the initial square to begin significantly dimmer. It’s easiest to think of the light on a number line where anything less than zero isn’t visible. =D