Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nesting in a Roll Query...

Edited 1531409053
Hi, I've spent an untold number of hours producing 3 macros, which comibine with api's (chatsetattr) to produce 3 very special effects... #Long-Rest  (Which replenishes HP, Spell Slots, and recovers certain 'resources') #Short-Rest  (Which replenishes Spell Slots for our warlock, and recovers certain 'resources') #Dawn-Rest  (Which increase certain magic item charge 'resources', auto-rolling in some cases) I'm very proud of myself. There must be 20-30+ lines of text for them all in total. However, instead of having 3 buttons at the bottom of my screen (Where I'm quickly running out of space!), I'd like to create one whole macro which would read like this.... ?{Which type of rest?|Short,#Short-rest |Long,#Long-rest |Dawn, Dawn-Rest } However, instead of a nice short list of 3 options in the query box, it looks like this.... It's split every line of all 3 macros out as separate options on the dropdown... I've read the few guides 'Nesting in a Roll Query' here , where it talks about problem characters, which.... even if I fix... might default back again if I ever go back and open/view again! - Can anyone clarify/confirm? - Thanks!
oh gaaawd. After more research, it looks like my only option is to do this character replacement thing, and then NEVER open the edited pages again in fear of loosing it all. - And I'm not talking about my tiny, one line of code mentioned above... this is the code for all 3 nested macros inside :( - Is that correct?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Use a Chat Menu . Much simpler interface to write. Also, I would recommend building the vast majority of your macros as abilities on a Macro Sheet , which vastly reduces the problem of HTML entity replacement.

Edited 1531415933
Thanks - I actually tried the 'Chart Menu' option before, but i struggled to replicate it. I think I'm missing something obvious. I use the 5e OLG Character sheets and presumably, the templates that come along with them... My Macros are what I think you've termed ' loose, global macros'. I've started by making a 'DM' Character Called "Macroman" and filling their abilities up with what are my current 'global' macros... I've then fudged along with....  /w gm [Short Rest](~Short-Rest) [Long Rest](~Long-Rest) [Dawn Rest](~Dawn-Rest) I get the fancy pink boxes, but they mention a missing substring. Presumably somewhere, I need to reference the 'character name' who actually has these 'abilities' on their sheet?
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
[Short Rest](~Macroman|Short-Rest) | [Long Rest](~Macroman|Long-Rest) | [Dawn Rest](~Macroman|Dawn-Rest)     Assuming the macro's are indeed on Macroman - this 'should' do it... I am just starting to play with chat buttons so if I am off someone will jump in. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
godthedj, if you want to post one of your macros that your chat menu is referencing, it might help in finding the issue.
Thanks Keith, DK - That little snippet of text worked well. - I'm going to make full use of chat menus. However, due to me not using shaped sheets, like the example from Keith here , i'm struggling to make any half decent 'menu' looking thing. Has anyone got any nice examples on how I could get the same sort of fix for OLG-5e. ...p.s I don't currently have/use the infamous 'powercards' I keep hearing about :)
You can use the default template &{template:default} {{name=Rests}} {{[Short Rest](~Macroman|Short-Rest)}} {{[Long Rest](~Macroman|Long-Rest)}} {{[Dawn Rest](~Macroman|Dawn-Rest)}}
Thanks - That default template looks like it could do the job :) I'll combine that with the info I here (<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll_Templates#Default" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Roll_Templates#Default</a>)