Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Removing Dynamic Lighting

I did do several searches and I didnt find any posts on this so hopefully I didnt miss anything. So I created some dynamic lighting line of sight blocking areas in my map but I need to remove them for doors when players open them. So in essence I want to delete the door sized dynamic lighting polygons that I created for the doors when the players open them and keep all the dynamic lighting for the walls around the doors. Thanks.
You have to plan ahead and create separate lines for doors.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
I find it useful to do all the walls first in something like yellow, then do pink rectangles for the doors to easily identify them. I also like to have doors recessed on maps to make it a little easier for players to spot entrances and exits

Edited 1392661170
Gauss
Forum Champion
Here are some tips for drawing your dynamic lighting barriers: 1) Do not use freehand because it can slow down a computer. Use Polygon/line or square/rectangle instead. 2) Do not use Circles/Ovals, they will not work like you would expect. Instead, use polygon/line to create a curve (an exception to #3 below). If necessary, create a circle on the token layer and then trace it on the DL layer (cyan and yellow work well for this). I suggest 1/4 or 1/2 circles rather than a full circle (due to #3 below). For tiny circles draw larger circle pieces and then as a group shrink the circle. 3) Use single line segments whenever possible. If you make bends in your lines it can make it difficult to select, adjust, or otherwise correct your Dynamic Lighting barriers. 4) Hold the shift key to draw straight lines, then move the line where you want and adjust it's size as necessary. 5) Alt+arrow keys work wonders for minute placement adjustments. 6) When you put in lines that you intended to remove later (such as doors) make them a different color for easier identification. 7) Finally, as a personal preference, I like to recess the barriers slightly from the walls, doors, etc. so that players can actually see the wall rather than a black barrier.
Thanks for the responses but I dont think I made myself clear. I do draw the walls first and then add the doors as separate polygons after so what I am asking is how do I delete the doors so line of sight can enter the room as if the door is open. In MapTools I can just delete the door or remove the line of sight blocking but I dont see how to do that in Roll20.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you can select the doors seperately then just right click and delete them or just move it into the wall so that it sits next to the other dynamic light walls.

Edited 1392665804
Metroknight said: If you can select the doors seperately then just right click and delete them or just move it into the wall so that it sits next to the other dynamic light walls. Ok I was able to finally select them and delete them that way. Thanks very much.

Edited 1392665980
EDIT: Ah! Well done, Metroknight. Beat me to the punch. :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You're welcome Jeff. In the beginning of using the DL I didn't make the doorspaces and thought I could just delete pieces but that is not the case. Everyone was responding with the viewpoint in mind but once you explained it in more detail it was understood what you wanted to know. My personal preference is to make the doors a different color and thickness. I usually use the thickest line for doors so that they are easier to select.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
No problem Sarah. I was surfing the forums and saw his post so I answered it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can also hit the delete key after selecting an object. :)