Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any tips for setting up multiple npcs?

Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
How do people handle setting up for combat in Roll20 with a non-standard game (meaning a directly supported game system)? I just set up a map that was going to have a fair number of npc tokens.  I created a character sheet with the map name and wrote up macros for each type of enemy (and potential allies) and marked them as token actions.  Then I created the tokens and linked them back to the sheet, but gave each their own name.  This will allow me to click on a token while that scenario is playing out and select whichever macro fits that character from the token macro bar. While this seems like it will work out fine, I can't help feeling there might be an easier way to go about this.  I can't recall running across any posts about this, though I certainly could have (and have forgotten about them).  How do others go about setting up "one-shot" multiple npcs for a game system that isn't integrated into Roll20?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That is certainly a valid approach if the game you are playing has rules that are mostly tied to the location/terrain.&nbsp; The problem you might run into later (what might be tickling at the back of your mind) is you'll need to do all this work again on a new map even if you have the same types of things. As an example: If your game has an Orc type of creature, and the behavior and abilities of that Orc are tied to the location, you'll be fine. If your game's Orc is pretty much the same in Mordor or the Shire, you probably want the Orc to have a character it's tied to, and not the map. If you use the second method and you've set your Mooks up right (see here, if you don't know what I mean:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> &nbsp;) then you can easily drag them out to whatever map you want.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, that makes sense.&nbsp; More set up time to get the different race/class type sheets set up in the beginning, but once that is set up it becomes faster to set up individual maps.&nbsp; Thanks for pointing me to that page.&nbsp; I think I read it once, but some things just start blurring together after a while.
While The Aaron could probably just write a script that does it, merely following his advice is generally a pretty good idea too! I use the second method for my game; have been doing it for a while. It works. Now I have a bestiary of my own with whatever kind of critters I want, token actions and everything, tied into character sheets, and most with multi-sided tokens. Any time I need a mook (or 20... once had a fight on a ship with 120 Sahaugan (evil fish people) that just kept coming!) I simply drag it onto the map. The Aaron had (has?) a script called TokenNameNumberer that, when properly applied, even gives each one a unique number, ie Sahaugan 85. Makes it a LOT easier to tell which one is being targeted. It does take a lot of prep work, so if you're not planning on using these assets again, it may not be worth the trouble. But if you're just adding tools to a set you're going to use again, it's worth taking half an hour or so a pop to make 'em right. -Phnord, The Color Animal Inn
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I guess I will have to decide how many I want to prep.&nbsp; I can probably cover a lot of the sentient enemies by doing class based sheets instead of race, since Palladium makes a lot of the sentient creatures playable.&nbsp; I could set up macros for different level ranges.&nbsp; Then I would only have to remember to apply racial stuff to the tokens like nightvision.&nbsp;