Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Staff of Striking

Edited 1532310718
It was suggested that I make this a standalone post for ease of reference. I don't know if anyone else will find this useful, but it was very helpful to me, so I offer it here. I had a player with a Staff of Striking in 5e and wanted to automate the attack roll such that it asked the number of charges expended and automatically added them to the damage. It took a little trial and error, and some help from the folks on the forums, but I finally have it working. I still haven't quite gotten it to automatically subtract the proper amount of charges from the counter, but it does handle the damage calculations correctly for both 1H and 2H use. Nightbreeze is, of course, the character's name and you will want to substitute that with your character. This uses the Roll20 5e OGL sheet. @{Nightbreeze|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Staff of Striking}} {{r1=[[@{Nightbreeze|d20}cs>20 + 2[PROF] + 3[MAGIC]]]}} @{Nightbreeze|rtype}cs>20 + 2[PROF] + 3[MAGIC]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d6+ ?{Charges|0,0|1,1|2,2|3,3}d6 + 3[MOD] + 3[MAGIC]]]}} {{dmg1type=Bludgeoning }} {{damage=1}} {{dmg2flag=1}} {{dmg2=[[1d8+ ?{Charges}d6 + 3[MOD] +3[MAGIC]]]}} {{dmg2type=Bludgeoning }} {{crit1=[[1d6[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[1d8[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}}   {{spelllevel=}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=@{Nightbreeze|global_attack_mod}}} {{globaldamage=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=[[0]]}} {{globaldamagetype=Bonus Damage}} ammo= @{Nightbreeze|charname_output}
Great work on the macro! I don't play 5e personally but I'm sure someone who does will be able to use this. If you want to automate deducting charges I can give you a little help with that. I'm not familiar with 5e and how the charges are stored on the sheet, but since you're a pro member you may benefit from getting the "Ammo" API script by The Aaron to deduct charges. Here is a link to the Wiki entry of the Ammo script. You can add it right from the 1-click install drop-down on the game in questions API Console page: Once the script is installed it's as easy as adding the following to your macro (this example is for Pathfinder Community Sheet so it will differ for you. Make sure it is on a new line): !ammo @{character_id} repeating_weapon_$0_ammo -1 staff charge When you use the macro you will get the following displayed in the chat window: You can use !wammo instead of !ammo to whisper the charges used message to GM only. I hope this helps you. If you decide to use this method and have any questions don't hesitate to ask!