Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

player link is hiding, missing, nonobvious, can't invite players

According to the player overview, the Player Link, the URL to email to my players is supposed to be just beneath the chat box. It's not on my screen under IE9+Chrome Frame. I don't think spending screen space on a URL is a good UI design anyway. Do like WebEx does and put a button to Invite Players somewhere in the rest of your interface (like the button panel on the left, or under the Settings screen). Then show the magic URL and include a text box to type in email addresses and send out an email. Much easier to deal with, more obvious, and less initial real estate (although the current situation of absolutely no Player Link is pretty efficient too).
It figures, 2 seconds after posting this, I now see a message in the message history for player link, with the magic URL hidden until I mouse-over. I still like my recommendation. Make it SUPER easy to send invites.
You guys already have this account infrastructure, why not allow us to invite our friends with their usernames?
Well, for the first session, it doesn't actually know who my friends are to show me a list. It doesn't have access to my contact list in my email system. But Teddy's point still adds into mine. If you have an Invite Players button, you can show the URL there (or a button to copy it to clipboard), give me a box to type in mail addresses, and a means to select known players.