Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Are API custom-appearance dice possible?

I dont have a pro account yet, to be honest i really have no need for most of the fancy stuff. However i would be interested IF the API would allow me to create custom dice.  I am playing 5th edition Vampire which uses a set of dice. Some sides are blank while other have symbols on them. Can these dice be recreated via API to roll as 3d dice rolls?  That is something that would certainly sell me on a pro account.  I will end up upgrading to the next tier anyway for the added storage space.
oh the dice are actually D10s
I know that there are scripts that use Star Wars custom dice so it should be possible. How is another question though. :)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You could possible do it as a rollable table if you have the images of each side needed and knew the weight of the sides (the percentage of each side being rolled).
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you mean to use the 3d feature, in which a visual image of dice appears and rolls across the table, that's not really possible by any means. You can (probably?) fake it through the API by animating token images and have them move across the screen, but writing that macro and having it as fluid as the inbuilt 3d dice would be a real challenge.  Beyond my abilities, that's for sure.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can have the rollable table show graphics as well as text, so that's a possible way to show dice. You would not be able to sum them or perform any mathematical operation on them, though.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: You can have the rollable table show graphics as well as text, so that's a possible way to show dice. You would not be able to sum them or perform any mathematical operation on them, though. You could even create tokens from the table and place them on the VTT as a 'pool' of dice which could be selected and right-click>random side 'rolled'... as Keith says there will be no math but for a visual effect similar to at a real table you'll be golden :)