Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][5e] Mik's Curse of Strahd Weekly - Multiple games and timezones - Begins September (Paid)

Edited 1534974922
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Current Groups Current Status Times are in PST. Expecting 4-5 players per group. Tuesdays at 6-10pm. 2-3 slots open. Weds or Friday at 6-10pm. 2-3 slots open. (Two players currently in group, both available for either day) If neither of these times work for you, I am hoping to open up three groups, so first come first serve! I am a freelance artist and can shift my work hours, so I'm available almost any time.&nbsp; By the way, if you see this and are interested but hesitant to play a paid game, please message me anyway! I'm down to discuss alternatives!&nbsp; Mik's Curse of Strahd Hi, my name's Mik Holmes, and come September, I will be starting up a few weekly campaigns using the Curse of Strahd adventure module! I'm looking for players of any experience who are willing to brave the horrors of Barovia with a few companions.&nbsp; This will be my fourth run-through DMing Curse of Strahd, which is important because CoS is packed with twisting and open-ended plots that weave together, and can be exceptionally difficult to run for the first time (I know from experience). With the multiple games, I hope to group like-minded players together, so if you're a massive roleplaying or prefer structured combat, I'll try and find a game for you. All of my games are fully inclusive. I'm able to run games for many time zones, not just the Americas. If you're interested, please post here, PM me, or post in the LFG posting. LFG: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/127552/miks-curse-of-strahd" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/127552/miks-curse-of-strahd</a> About Me As above, I'm Mik. I'm 29, been DMing D&amp;D and other tabletop games for over 15 years (including official D&amp;D/Pathfinder adventures in FLGSs), with over 1000 hours in Roll20. I try to tailor each game to the respective group, keeping my DM style open to change for individual preferences and needs. I particularly want to strike a balance between immersive roleplaying and drama; fun, strategic combat; and a little bit of campy humour - all tweaked for the group.&nbsp; I like to think I excel at dramatic pacing for roleplaying and combat scenarios. In my opinion, my biggest weakness is trying to ad-lib NPC dialogue, but I'm actively trying to improve that. I'm totally open to any comments or suggestions between sessions if you want something different in your game! About Curse of Strahd Curse of Strahd is a 5th edition D&amp;D adaption of the award-winning 1983 Ravenloft module for AD&amp;D, written by Tracy and Laura Hickman. In the years since, the original has gained a reputation as one of the greatest Dungeons &amp; Dragons adventures ever.&nbsp; Curse of Strahd uses recurring elements inspired by classic horror literature and gothic fairy tales. The players find themselves drawn into the cursed land of Count Strahd von Zarovich, a terrifying predator hidden behind a romantic, noble veil. Once there, they must contend with the horrors of Barovia – misty forests full of wolves and witches; haunted manors and abandoned castles; grotesque monsters in the shadows; and other creatures that serve Strahd’s evil will.&nbsp; Please note : Curse of Strahd may be considered 18+, though I can tailor this for younger groups . That said,&nbsp; due to its influences, Curse of Strahd includes some unfortunate themes that may be uncomfortable for some players. While care has been taken to interpret and adapt such content, some of these themes may persist. These include violence against children and women; problematic depictions of mental illness, abuse, and addiction; and racial stereotypes often attributed to the real-world Romani people. During the game, if you are at all uncomfortable with any of the book’s content, please speak to me immediately or between sessions.&nbsp; More Info These Campaigns All campaigns will be run using Roll20 (of course), using voice chat, so a headset is strongly encouraged. If Roll20's built-in video/voice functionality works, we will use that, otherwise I will be making a Discord server for the group. I will be using a webcam for DM purposes, but using a webcam is totally optional for players. The intention is to be played weekly. From my previous run-throughs, I estimate the campaign to take approximately six months of weekly play to complete. The adventure begins with 1st-level characters, with the introduction bringing you to 3rd-level within one or two sessions. The campaign should end approximately 10th-level, but could extend further depending on player preferences. I will be using the official Curse of Strahd module on Roll20, but it will be enhanced with all sorts of extras - handouts, supplements, art, marketplace maps, music and ambience, macros, Roll20 API features, etc. I'm part of the Curse of Strahd reddit's Discord, and have been researching all sorts of ways to improve Curse of Strahd's story and themes. Characters should be made with official material, but I am willing to check out any homebrew or supplemental material! There will be a Session Zero before the first session, so players can discuss character concepts together, weaving backstories with the setting and each other. Paid DMing?! This game will require payment to the Game Master at a rate of $10 USD/session via Paypal, to be paid monthly. Roll20 is not responsible for any payment transactions and cannot enforce any private arrangements. I know paying to play D&amp;D is a controversial subject, so I wanted to explain why I'm doing this. I'm a freelance illustrator, and have been hit with some medical and financial issues. Currently, most of my time is spent working on illustrations from home, leaving me with no real free time. By running paid games, I have the freedom to spend time on hobbies like D&amp;D, while providing some entertainment for others. In addition, the cost helps me cover a Pro campaign subscription, things like the Curse of Strahd module, and extra supplements and Marketplace materials. Life happens, so there's no charge if you need to miss a session, or a week's game falls through. In addition, the first game session will be a trial run at no cost to anyone, so you can see if you enjoy my DMing style. Even weeks down the line, if you're not enjoying yourself, there's no commitment! If you have any concerns about this, please contact me! Interested? Barovia is waiting for heroes. If you've read above and you're interested in playing, please drop me a line in this forum, PM me, or leave a message in the LFG linked above! Please mention your timezone and available days/hours, if possible! Thanks!
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Current Status There's currently two groups that I've begun to set up. Times are in PST. Slots open expect 4 or 5 players per group.&nbsp; Tuesdays at 6pm. 2-3 slots open. Weds or Friday at 6pm. 3-4 slots open. (One player who can do either day) If neither of these times work for you, I am hoping to open up three groups, so first come first serve!
Mik has been hosting our game for about six months now. We have had a great time, and we have a group that is mostly beginners, with a couple seasoned players. Mik is creative, and flexible to allow the game to be fun.&nbsp; I would highly recommend him!
As someone who has been with one of Mik's groups since February, his performance as a Dungeon Master has been very pleasing. He's got a great sense of combining good game play regulations with role-playing interaction between players and non-player characters. Mik does well to be prepared for future sessions and determining multiple scenarios based on player decisions in-game. He's got a good patient attitude and understanding in the face of frustration, plus a keen insight on how to remedy situations that are satisfactory for everyone. All in all, he provides each session with a sense of accomplishment and entertainment.
I've been playing one of Mik's Curse of Strahd games since February. Mik's both a ton of fun to play with, and also very professional in how he runs and manages his game. Our group hasn't been the type to solve problems in especially predictable ways, with an almost instinctual aversion to using front doors. Mik's prep-work and knowledge of the game has made even the weirdest encounters pretty seamless.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks guys! I appreciate the good reviews! (I'll admit - I did ask my previous players to give me a review, but I promise I didn't tell them what to say except to make me look good.) &nbsp;And yeah, I never realized it, but you guys never went into a front door pretty much ever. What is it with you guys and climbing onto the balcony of things? Current Status Times are in PST. Expecting 4-5 players per group. Tuesdays at 6-10pm. 2-3 slots open. Weds or Friday at 6-10pm. 2-3 slots open. (Two players currently in group, both available for either day) If neither of these times work for you, I am hoping to open up three groups, so first come first serve! I am a freelance artist and can shift my work hours, so I'm available almost any time.&nbsp; By the way, if you see this and are interested but hesitant to play a paid game, please message me anyway! I'm down to discuss alternatives!&nbsp;
I just finished a Curse of Strahd campaign with Mik and it was, hands down, my best experience on Roll20 to date.&nbsp; He's on time, prepared, and always a pleasure to game with.&nbsp; I can pretty much guarantee you'll have fun if you try out one of his campaigns.