Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Google+/Roll20 gets really slow/hangs after long periods of use

I ran a game using Roll20 in a Google+ Hangout. My browser is Firefox 12.0 and my operating system is Mac OS 10.6.8 I found that there was often a considerable delay in executing any instruction given with the mouse, during which my cursor changed to the coloured whirly thing that indicates that the computer is busily calculating. This seemed to get worse as the evening got on. Indeed, towards the end the mouse cursor would sometimes turn into the whirly thing spontaneously, without my having done anything. I asked my players whether they had done anything that might have set my computer to processing anything, they said not.
We noticed this as well during our 5 hour Google+ session the other day. As the game went on, things would get progressively worse in general (basically, the whole browser window would just get slow). We found that a reload would fix the problem. I'm still not sure if this is specifically a Roll20 issue or a Google+ Hangouts issue...I can't think of anything that's different enough between Roll20 on roll20.net and Roll20 in G+ that would cause this from our end, but I'll keep investigating...
If it happens again, can you load up Activity Monitor and take a look? I'd be interested to know the CPU/Memory Usage of Firefox, as well as any processes like "GoogleTalkPlugin" and "Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator"...
Another thing we might try to track down the issue is leaving the Hangout open, and then just loading up another App (e.g. Google Docs, Youtube, etc.) into the Hangout (which closes out Roll20 completely from your browser's perspective), then loading Roll20 back up into the Hangout. If it gets responsive again, we'll know it's something to do with the way Roll20 runs inside Hangouts. If it stays laggy, it would indicate it's something to do with the Hangout itself...
I'll have the gang together again same time next week.