Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to macro a hombrew initiative system

Edited 1536218761
So my friends and I have a complicated homebrew initiative system that takes up an enormous amount of time between rounds of combat. This reduces game tension. I'd like to design a macro that models a system that works like this: Many but not all characters or opposing monsters have an initiative bonus Small dice--in our case a d10--are used for initiative so the odds of having a lot ties is high We tend roll off on ties but sometimes, with large large combats with large parties and many opponents, we use the bonuses to quickly break ties. Because the dice are small, tie breaking rolls often result in ties as well. If the third roll off doesn't break the tie, we assume the combatants act simultaneously. Unlike, for example, D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder, we determine initiative anew each and every round. the macro would track all the character tokens or sheets and automatically roll for them, including all the tie breaking or unbroken ties. Before firing the macro, the GM would have the option of adding as many tokens for opponents as he or she would require. These would be counted against all the ties in step seven. Given the high number of ties generated and the complexity of resolving ties and the fact that this has to happen every single round really slows things down. And unfortunately the built-in turn tracker isn't much help until we have final numbers to put in and sort. Suggestions on how I'd go about writing a macro for that?

Edited 1536222480
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Since you're Pro, you can probably use Group initiative to solve most of your issues. A really simple solution to the ties is this: Replace the d10 + Bonus roll with d1000/100 + Bonus. This will give you results like 7.43 This is exactly like rolling a 7, then a 4, then a 3. If you use that and add it to the tracker, a 7.43 will go after a 7.67, and a 7.67 will beat a 7.66. You get the tiebreak effect without having to actually check the dice three times.  If it bothers you that you can get a 0 on the d1000/10, just change it to (1d1000+99)/100 + Bonus , which means you get 1-10 exactly the same as a d10 roll, but doesnt look as neat in the macro. 
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
As GG says, GroupInitiative should be able to handle that for you.  It has the added bonus of being able to reroll everyone in the initiative with one command.

Edited 1536275775
The Aaron said: As GG says, GroupInitiative should be able to handle that for you.  It has the added bonus of being able to reroll everyone in the initiative with one command. Thanks to the both of you. Where is the code on GitHub so I can tweak it in the manner GG describes? Additionally will this script work for Plus accounts? As the GMs in the game I'm in are both at that level of subscription. Or can I, as a Pro, fire it for them in their games?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately to use Group Initiative or any API scripts, the creator of the campaign must be a Pro subscriber. there's no way for you to lend them your pro level benefits, except by creating the campaign yourself and setting them as a co-GM.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That said, if you end up in a game with API support, you shouldn't need to modify the source code, just configure the script in them menu: !group-init --help