Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Short survey for GMs, please participate

Since the off-topic area was cut out I would like to continue my little survey here. If any of the devs feel this isn't in accordance with the rules, please tell me so and I'll stop, I promise. The original thread is here if anyone is interested: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/635282/short-sur" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/635282/short-sur</a>... 1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? 2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not having a subscription. a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? b) If you have suggested what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer!
1) No, made all of the group pay for the subscription, including the GM Actually, the only reason I see for a subscription, other than altruism, is dynamic lighting. So far, three sessions into the subscription, we haven't used it. It's just one more task for the overworked GM to set up.
A) Yes B) No
1. A: Yes B: No I am pretty sure if I was young or a student or broke - I would cast around and ask my players to chip in. But being "old" and having a job - $10 a month is not a stretch for me. Also - I support the game not for any of the features (I do not use dynamic lighting) - I support it because this is exactly the sort of software that should exist and without support it would die.

Edited 1393955594
1 A) Yes - I GM & I am a Supporter. 1 B) No - I do not ask for help. 1 C) NA 2 A & B) NA I am blessed in that I am in a situation that makes it easy for me to pay the $10 for a subscription (in other words I have a job that pays minimum wage or more). However if I was on a tight or struggling budget I would either get help from my players paying for the subscription or we would use the free service. It is only rational that those who benefit from the service participate in the cost.
Mat K said: Also - I support the game not for any of the features (I do not use dynamic lighting) - I support it because this is exactly the sort of software that should exist and without support it would die. Exactly what motivates me to support. Although I do use Dynamic Lighting, but not the API or other advanced features.
Gold
Forum Champion
2A) No. I have not asked my players to pay for a Roll20 Subscription. However, as a Player myself, without being asked, I have sent a "donation" to my GM's Roll20 account. What I found was, my GM was already a Supporter or Mentor subscriber on his own before I contributed & this is necessary. Therefore I did not "buy Mentor status" for the GM, I simply contributed an amount of money that would EXTEND the duration of his subscription by a month or 2. So when his sub that he paid for is running out, it will go longer because a player donated.
2. A. No B. No
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
2. A. No B. No We play too irregularly for me to consider asking the players to stump up for a subscription. Also, my player pool frequently changes (many of the games I run are ad-hoc, with whoever happens to be available at the time, since for a variety of reasons scheduling anything regular is impossible), so it would make me uncomfortable asking players who might not play for several months to contribute.
No. I run 4, sometimes 5 games a week, and have never considered asking people to pay my subscription. I don't see how I could ask like, 16 people to donate a few cents a month just so I can use features like Dynamic Lighting, since I'm pretty sure they wouldn't care if those were there or not.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
1a: Yes. 1b: Not as yet. The game I run won't transition to Roll20 until September (summer break upcoming, using that as my transition period). I won't directly ask my players to pitch in, but I'll make sure they have seen the costs page and how to donate time to me. If no one ever subs or gifts me time, it is fine. 1c: I will update if and when I have data.
a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes, it's only the lower level one so it's not that much of a financial drain for me b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? I never bothered to ask them if they'd pay for it c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? N/A 2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not having a subscription. For a long while I didn't so I'll answer these as well a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? I might have joked about it but never seriously asked them to. b) If you have suggested what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? N/A

Edited 1399196604
1a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes, I don't see a problem paying for server access on a site I am going to dump a ton of documents and images onto. 1b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? No, why would I? When I used to tabletop, I never asked my players to pay for using my living room or chip in to fund my gaming library. 1c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? not applicable. -Jon
1a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes. I am out of school and work full time, and don't pay any other monthly game subscriptions. 1b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? No. One of my players offered to pay for mentor access so we can get scripts set up. That may happen, but its not a priority.

Edited 1399663293
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I pay for my own and never occurred to me to even consider asking my players for assistance. However I wouldn't want any money from them and I wouldn't even accept any money. I think depends on your social circle. For teenagers $10 is a lot of money, for a guy in his mid 30's with a well paying job $10 is nothing. Also I want to support the website because I think it's awesome and would hate to see go away.
1. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and having a subsciption. a) Do you pay your subsciption alone? Yes b) If you do pay it alone have you ever asked/requested for your players to pay portion of the subscription fee? No, though I wouldn't turn them down if they did decide to donate. c) If you have asked what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? / 2. This is meant for all those people GMing a campaign (or a few) using Roll20 and not having a subscription. / a) Have you ever suggested to your players that they would pay portion of a subscription fee so you would get access to more features/assets which they would get to benefit as your players? / b) If you have suggested what kind of reasons have you gotten for why not? / Thanks in advance to anyone willing to answer!