Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat window buttons near the right edge that have tool tips, the tool tip flickers in and out and the button can't be pressed.

Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
My API sends buttons to the chat window, which the user can press. The buttons have tooptips that give greater detail to what the button does. When the user mouses over the button, the tooltip appears. The user can press the button and all works great.  However, if by chance the button happens to appear near the right edge of the chat window, such that the tooltip would extend onto the chat windows scroll bar, then when the user mouses over the button, the tool tip starts flickering into and out of existence, as the system tries to put it up, decides there is not quite enough room for it, and removes it, then decides it ought to be there and tries to put it back up, etc. infinite loop.  While the tooltip is flickering on and off, the button can not be pressed. The only thing the user can do is resize the chat window until that particular button he wants to press is no longer next to the right edge.  The chat window is narrow, so a lot of buttons tend to end up near the right edge. System ought to handle buttons with tool tips near the right edge of the chat window better. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Which API is this? Does the behavior repeat across multiple browsers?
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Excellent questions, I should have provided that before.  The API does not matter (and is not published yet), the important thing is that it sometimes uses sendChat to send text and buttons with tooltips to the chat window. Here is a sample that has 5 buttons in it.  Any script that writes something like the below should do the same thing.  <a href=\"!Earthdawn~ charIDÒ -JvAdIYpXgVyt2yd07hv~ ChatMenuÒ Linkadd1Ò -LLgV49pGYWa1RByx9EfÒ ?{What are we linking|Talent,T|Knack,NAC|Weapon,WPN}Ò ?{Name to link to (Make sure substring is a character for character match)}\" style=\"padding: 0px, 5px; border: 1px solid black; margin: 1px, 5px; min-width: auto;\" class=\"showtip tipsy\" title=\"Link this Knack to a Talent, Knack, or Weapon, such that this Knack will use that items Step.\">Add a Link</a> Remove: <a href=\"!Earthdawn~ charIDÒ -JvAdIYpXgVyt2yd07hv~ ChatMenuÒ LinkRemoveÒ -LLgV49pGYWa1RByx9EfÒ TÒ 2\" style=\"padding: 0px, 5px; border: 1px solid black; margin: 1px, 5px; min-width: auto;\" class=\"showtip tipsy\" title=\"Make this Knack no longer linked to this Talent, Knack, or Weapon.\">Melee</a> Remove: <a href=\"!Earthdawn~ charIDÒ -JvAdIYpXgVyt2yd07hv~ ChatMenuÒ LinkRemoveÒ -LLgV49pGYWa1RByx9EfÒ TÒ 1\" style=\"padding: 0px, 5px; border: 1px solid black; margin: 1px, 5px; min-width: auto;\" class=\"showtip tipsy\" title=\"Make this Knack no longer linked to this Talent, Knack, or Weapon.\">Riposte</a> Remove: <a href=\"!Earthdawn~ charIDÒ -JvAdIYpXgVyt2yd07hv~ ChatMenuÒ LinkRemoveÒ -LLgV49pGYWa1RByx9EfÒ TÒ -KEW7E2ElJ56C3Z9KQYp\" style=\"padding: 0px, 5px; border: 1px solid black; margin: 1px, 5px; min-width: auto;\" class=\"showtip tipsy\" title=\"Make this Knack no longer linked to this Talent, Knack, or Weapon.\">SD</a> Remove: <a href=\"!Earthdawn~ charIDÒ -JvAdIYpXgVyt2yd07hv~ ChatMenuÒ LinkRemoveÒ -LLgV49pGYWa1RByx9EfÒ TÒ -KEW72JyCoLeZarCweSZ\" style=\"padding: 0px, 5px; border: 1px solid black; margin: 1px, 5px; min-width: auto;\" class=\"showtip tipsy\" title=\"Make this Knack no longer linked to this Talent, Knack, or Weapon.\">MD</a> The flickering behavior described above is what happens under Chrome  Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)    When I try it under microsoft edge, I get somewhat different behavior but still not correct. It is actually easier to see the difference and what is wrong.  When a button is moused over that is far enough away from the right edge, the tooltip appears. It is white letters on black, and has the text that I programmed in, Above it is a green tooltip that says "API or Player generated content".  The black (user generated) tooltip is about a quarter of a line above the top of the field/button that has the tooltip programmed into it it, and a tiny black triangle forms an arrow that points to the center top of the button that the tooltip belongs to.  However, when the button in the chat window is near the right edge of the chat window, such that there is not room for the tooltip to align itself to the exact center of the button, the tooltip gets shifted down. The little black triangle is aligned with the BOTTOM of the button, a little bit left of the center, and the tooltip almost completely covers the button, preventing the button from being pressed.  As I said, in chrome, the tooltip flickers on and off many times per second in a very annoying manner and prevents the button from being pressed.  In Edge the tooltip just stays there covering the button without flickering and prevents the button from being pressed. So the problem, as I now see, is not that the tooltip is flickering, but that on both chrome and edge browsers, it for some reason aligns itself with the bottom of the button instead of the top when it is near the right edge of the chat window such that the little triangle does not have room to align itself with the bottom center of the tooltip and the top center of the button.   Thanks for your attention. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Chris. I'll pass this along to the team.
Hi Chris, Could you provide a screenshot of what it is you are seeing. This sounds like it is a known issue but I just want to confirm :)
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thank you for that Chris, Could you provide the name of the game so I can add it into the ticket for the devs to investigate more closely?

Edited 1537195143
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The campaign is on the Dev system, and the name is "Earthdawn".  To see the problem one has to have the system send a message with buttons to the chat window. One way to do this is to select character sheet "Darron", go to the "Knacks" tab, Select "Knack 1", press button at the bottom of the repeating section and Submit with "Link". Hover over buttons in the chat window. If you have the chat window large, you might need to make it small so that some of the buttons are near the right edge of the window. 
Thank you! I have added the info and a dev will be investigating the issue :)