Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players have sheets and tokens got a question.

So I created sheets for the players and they picked out and we assigned tokens.  I have two more players going to join. I dont know how to remove a token from the board without deleting it. I had two 'npc's' with tokens and sheets and want to make room for real players. How can I remove the token without unbinding the sheet and messing up the token?  Do i just 'delete' token?
If you have properly linked the token to the character sheet you can just delete the token from the board. Then you just drag the token back to the VTT when needed.

Edited 1536942485
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Kyle G. said: If you have properly linked the token to the character sheet you can just delete the token from the board. Then you just drag the token back to the VTT when needed. Drag the token back from the character sheet  to the VTT when needed.(just to be extra clear)
Wow ok thank you
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And to make it even more clear, Andreas is talking about the character sheet on the journal tab:
Ok so i can pull the sheet directly to the map and it will display the appropriately linked token? Also for monsters and NPCs can we fill out sheets to lnk various simply monsters (I am thinking goblins. the faceless one, centipedes and such?)
Just, in the wiki above, follow the steps for Mooks to create your monsters. Specifically Step 5 regarding hp, otherwise all of your monsters will share the same health which is not what you want.

Edited 1536960339
Team Roll20, I can link the sheets to the token. I got that much. What I cant figure out is this 'unlinking' think you are talking about. If i change the drop down stat to 'none' then when I pull the sheet back to the tabletop the token has no stats.  For example I want to do a bunch of centipedes. They all are ac13, have 8hp, an attack of +6 and its basic moves and attributes. When I 'save the token to the mod, it treats it as a character and they all change. How is this 'unlinking thing' working. I guess i need to 'see' what you guys are talking about and it will click on for me. Having them show the initial starting stats is good for this type of encounter but i am not sure what step i am missing to make them a 'mook'. Where is the unlink thing you are talking about here?  Step 5 >>  If "Mook", UNLINK token's Bar 1,2,3 dropdown from stats (numbers will stay but will no longer be linked)
You link it in the first case to pull the HP value from the assigned sheet. If the value is blank on the sheet, it will be blank on the token. Assuming you do not have HP on the sheet, it's easier to leave it linked to "Nothing" then fill in the current and max values manually. Remember to do this BEFORE saving! -Phnord, waiting breathlessly for his wiki to hit 100,000 views.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Follow Kyle's link above step-by-step and you should be good. to go. If you prefer to watch it being done, rather than read about it, you can check out this video I just made. Apologies for the sound. I just bought a new microphone and plan to re-do it.
KeithCurtis, That video was exactly what I needed. I can't stress enough how I would NEVER have figured it out without that short video. Thank you .  Are you playing the P2 Playtest? The playtest manual is in PDF form, can I 'drag' pages from it into the R20 thingy and use it as a 'mook' sheet?  I can create my mook sheets by hand but i had read you can import/drag sheets into it.  I am interested in playtest monsters at the moment but might end up getting the Pathfinder beastiary for 49 here on r20.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent! That was exactly what I needed to hear, and it makes me smile. :) You can drag monsters and such in from any system that has a compendium. I don't know if the PF2 test has a compendium yet?

Edited 1537035321
That would be a compedium that is <in> the roll20 market place? Or can someone use the pdf that we got downloaded from Paizo? < Its a beastiary /Compedium complete for the playtest.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That would be any compendium either provided by Roll20 for free (D&D 5e, Dungeon World, Pathfinder I, or Burn Bryte), which are System Resource Documents. Or dedicated Compendiums from the Marketplace , such as the D&D 5e Monster Manual or Volo's Guide to Monsters) Compendiums are highly structured data files that are organized so that character sheets can utilize drag and drop for many items such as monsters or spells. Utility likely varies from product to product. You cannot drag and drop from a third party item.
Keith, I am also trying to make a 'splash page' which I am struggling with. I used GIMP to resize an image (the origina players handbook cover art) and I think I did it right but there is some distortion.  My art skills include stick men, text and bad color splashes. A 3 yr old would have more technique. However i am moving forward with as many youtubes as I can watch.  What is the DM layer used for and is there an example you can give me? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
From the Wiki page on Layers : The  GM Info Layer  can only be seen by the GM. It's a great place to put drawings or text to remind you of traps or other information about the map that only the GM should see. You can also move tokens to this layer to hide them from players. It's like a private layer, only usable by and seeable by the GM. If you have a bunch of tokens lying in ambush, or a demon that might be summoned later, you can hide them on the dm layer. During the game, to make them appear to the players, you switch yourself to the GM layer, select the tokens and right-click. On the popup menu, select Layer > Objects and Tokens. They will be moved to that layer (you need to return, too), and the players can see them normally. You can also do the same thing, but move objects to the maps layer. This would be useful for something like revealing a pit trap.
Again this makes my job WAY easier. I can simply leave critters on the map until they 'come out' of hiding! Amazing! 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Note that if a token is on the DM layer, you can even send it to the turn tracker. It's turn will display for the DM, but not the players. Here's an even simpler method that doesn't require layer switching:  Quick and Dirty Invisible Token Tracking Using Basic Fog of War The technique describes using it for invisible tokens, but you can easily put whatever you want in a fog of war-obscured margin. I usually put a two square fogged buffer around the edges of most of my maps. This is useful if you have 5 more orcs that reinforce on round three, for example.